We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

Panama City...
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

My husband and I are traveling to Anguilla next month, staying at Cap Juluca. We are in desparate need of R&R and don't plan on renting a car. Mainly we are going to lounge on the beach, but we'll venture out for some meals. We're looking for some suggestions that combine a pre-dinner drink and a close-by (walking distance even) restaurant. We'd like to check out the Viceroy, maybe having a drink at their sunset lounge. Is there a good dinner restaurant very close by? We'd also like to try Blanchards, Da Vida and Veya. Any good cocktail options by those? Are these restaurants best for dinner rather than lunch? Are they too fancy to find the Anguillian crayfish I keep reading about? Finally, we'd love to catch Bankie at Dune Preserve on Sunday afternoon. Is this a good place for lunch, or should we lunch nearby and just go there for drinks and music? Thanks so much for any info!

USA
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

If you want to visit these various places, why not rent a car? The prices are reasonable (likely cheaper than taxis), the driving on the island is easy (probably the easiest of any Caribbean island we have been to), and it will give you more flexibility. Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy...

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

Agree wit onekbear. Cabs are very expensive. With a car, you could have cocktails at Viceroy, drive down the street to Blanchard's for dinner, then go to Dune Preserve to see Bankie. Another night do cocktails at Elvis' in Sandy Ground, then dinner at Veya. Da Vida is a little more complicated to drive to if you're not familiar with the island, but certainly not impossible.

If you want, you can just rent a car for 2 or 3 days, they'll deliver and pick up at your hotel.

Panama City...
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

I just checked out the car rental rates, and I think you're right. We'd still like to stay in the same general areas for cocktails/dinner, though. I'm thinking maybe Viceroy and Blanchards would fit together?

Panama City...
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

Sorry- my post overlapped with yours! Thanks for the suggestion. We'll be there from Friday to Tuesday, so a 3 day rental would work out well. Does Bankie play anywhere on Saturday? I don't know if we'll be up for a late night on our arrival day (leaving home on a 6:00am flight that morning).

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

The only regularly scheduled nights for Bankie are Wed and Fri, however, he usually plays/sings a little Sunday after the band finishes (maybe around 5pm). Definately worth hearing him, and you must experience the Dune Preserve.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

yes, we just left the dune preserve, and are going back tonight to see bankie perform...the place is awesome, and he is really cool, i bought a CD and he signed it and took a pic with me and chatted for a bit. really cool guy....as far as car rentals go... we went with bryans car rentals. really cheap and very friendly, he will bring u the car anywhere u want, ronnie has to be one of the nicest guys weve met so far. i think we paid 130 for 3 days including insurance

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

Once you are at Cap Juluca, you can rent a car and have it brought to the hotel. You will get lots of R&R on stunning Maunday's bay. CJ is very convenient to lots of waterfront restaurants.

Nothing is really in walking distance, as the beach is a contained bay, with only Cap Juluca. Maundays bay bar is nice pre or post dinner. I also enjoy Flights just outside Pimms. Cove Bay is a sister cove in its natural state,

and some do walk to Smokeys during the day for lunch.

This hotel is really just 5 minutes away from Meads Bay, with Jacala,

Blanchards, Straw Hat. Mangos on Barnes Bay with Viceroy right smack in the middle of Barnes and Meads. Close by is Picante and Trattoria Tramonto.

Davida is about 20-30 minutes away. The Dune -just past Cusinart on Rendezvous bay is about 10 minutes. And Veya is on the road to Sandy Ground.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

You could also do a Sandy Ground-area of cocktails & dinner. You could go for a drink at the Sand Bar or Elvis, then have a fine dining dinner at Barrel Stay, Sand Bar, Dolce Vita, or slightly further afield Veya. (Further afield if you're walking. Not really a big difference if you're driving)

For a non-fine dining experience, there's also Roy's and the purple restaurant whose name eludes me but will be filled in quickly by another poster, I'm sure.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

Be sure to check with your villa manager or concierge about which restaurants offer a shuttle from cap Juluca to their restaurants. Hibernia, koal keel, Davida may be convenient even without renting a car.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar + nearby restaurant suggestions?

Also check into cap juluca's boat trips. You may be able to go to Scilly cay and other places by boat for lunch.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 10:50