We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

Hi

I am going to take a day trip tomorrow to Anguilla from st Maarten with my wife. Can u please give me some general ideas on which beach/beaches to visit and best way to get around from ferry port?

I have read about shoel bay east but it seemed far from port.

Anything else we should check out while we are there for the day?

Thanks!!!!

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

The other option is to go to Meads Bay - maybe 10-15 minutes from ferry port. Go to Blanchard's Beach Shack, where you can rent chairs and umbrellas for $3 per person, and have a great lunch and drinks. It's a beautiful beach, and the food there is great.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
44 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

I would say grab a taxi and go to Gwen's. Then you can also walk down the beach to Shoal bay and get two beaches for the price of one.

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

Thanks! Is that Shay Bay east?

Does it make sense to cab everywhere or rent a car/scooter for day?

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

The beach is Shoal Bay East. Gwen's Reggae Grill is on Upper Shoal Bay. If you're into snorkeling this is the best beach with restaurants for shore snorkeling. Renting a car for the day is not a bad idea as taxis are expensive on the island.

Do a search in this forum for Ronnie Bryan and his information will come up as he can meet you with a vehicle at Blowing Point where the ferry docks. You should also try to see Meads, Rendezvous and Cove Bays. Sandy Ground is interesting as it's a place where huge ships can dock . There are several cool restaurants and bars there.

A drink at Johnno's or Elvis's is definitely worth a stop.

Enjoy your day in this very special paradise! ;~>

new jersey
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

As a regular to Gwens and Shoal Bay, I also recommend going to Meads and having taxi drop you at Blanchards Beach Shack. You can see 1) walk to Viceroy and see their fabulous Sunset Lounge; 2) walk past one of the most expensive and beautiful villas in Anguilla and 3) shop at the boutique at Frangipani. And if you want to splurge a bit---eat at Jacala instead of Blanchards---THE BEST calamari risotto and tuna tartar ever..and oh, so French---just a wonderful vibe.

And ask the taxi driver for his card so Blanchards can call him to pick you up to bring you back to Blowing Point---

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

Hi! We did this exact thing a couple of years ago when we were in St. Martin. We spent the day at Shoal Bay East but now that I've been to Mead's Bay I think I would now spend the day at Blanchard's Beach Shack. Mead's Bay beach is beautiful and the food at Blanchard's Beach Shack is supposed to be great (I don't know personally but I'm returning to Anguilla on Sunday and plan to eat lunch there often!). When we went for the day the taxi driver offered to return at a certain time to pick us up and return us to the ferry port. Enjoy your day on Anguilla! It was the best thing about our trip to St. Martin!

~ Beth

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

Must see Shoal Bay East, one of the top 10 beaches in the world. Grab a cab at the dock and tell him what time to come back and pick you up. Most taxi's will do a taxi tour for 50.00 per hour, so if you are interested in seeing other beaches, this would be the way to go.

Rendezvous Bay - very close to the dock, it is lovely and you can rent chairs at the Great House for 5.00 each or free at the Sunshine Shack if you buy lunch, you could walk down and see the Dune Preserve and maybe meet Bankie Banks.

Blanchards fills up fast so if you are planning on Meads Bay, either get there early, or plan an alternate such as Jacala for your chairs - free with lunch.

Have a great trip.

Ellen

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,810 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147238-i388-k54…

a similar post here..read post 6

Ny
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

I vote meads bay beach.

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from saint Maarten - general advice

Thanks! All great suggestions. Will we have time do both Meads and Shoal bay? If so, which one first? We will probably arrive around 10 and plan to head back to ferry for 430 departure.