We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Looks as if they are going to allow Dolphin Discovery to open:

axareality.com/#bn-forum-1-1-630869636/…

On the bright side, it appears as if SXM is going to open one as well, perhaps when they open, AXA will close due to lack of business.

Ellen

Edited: 26 May 2012, 14:19
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

So sorry for the poor dolphins! ;~(

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Yes, but it will bring much needed jobs, and the trickle down. Humans perpetuate this type of thing. Can't blame the island for trying to capitalize.

I see pros and cons of both sides.

Ellen

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Temonos brought jobs that didn't last. The Forest Bay project that ejected Straw Hat from its initial location was going to bring jobs. The list goes on in AXA...there are NO pros for the dolphins who have the entire sea to roam in vs a penned in area.

Even the Viceroy project brought jobs and then based on the way Anguillians treated them, the company ended up importing East Indians. Don't see it your way and I've lived on islands and in Africa.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Yes, and that is the way I see it on one side, but on the other, these type of attractions are all over the world and will continue to flourish until humans stop demanding such entertainment.

Ellen

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Because something "flourishes" that doesn't make it RIGHT!!! A lot of profitable enterprises have existed in the history of mankind but existence and the morality of an enterprise IMHO are 2 totally different issues.

Thanks to the work of global environmentalists a lot of projects like this have been halted. Great Guana Cay was going to have a golf course whose chemical runoff would have destroyed pristine reefs. Due to the non-stop protests of locals and visitors alike, it never happened.

Using your logic Ellen a lot of greedy, unscrupulous people have justified horrific enterprises all over the planet.

I'm happy to stand with environmentalists and animal rights activists on this issue. NO!!!! and NO!!!!! Find another way to be entertained and leave the dolphins to the freedom of the seas and oceans.

You are of course, entitled to your opinion.

Edited: 26 May 2012, 15:55
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

"Lucie", you are preaching to the choir. I think it is dreadful to imprison the dolphins, the symbol of Anguilla, in a cage at the ferry dock where the boats and gas and oil leak. I have been on an email campaign for the past year trying to stop it, to no avail. Marjorie McClean has spent thousands of dollars to try and stop it. The Anguilla people want it, and it is going to happen. Until people stop going to these type of things - Seaworld, Zoos, Habitats and the like, they will continue.

Ellen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Lucian:

You probably already know how strongly I stand firmly in your corner.

You've said it all for me.

Just because other places are choosing an immoral way of sanctioning their living doesn't mean it should be approved by others.

USA
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

I dislike the caged-dolphin thing, and would never patronize it. But Ellen's point about consumer demand driving this sort of enterprise is spot on. There is a good argument that the caging dolphins for entertainment is no more unethical than perating a steakhouse, making or selling leather shoes or clothing, chicken farming, horse racing, the circus, rodeo or zoo, hunting lodges, etc. Until demand ends, it will continue.

Edited: 26 May 2012, 16:29
Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

What I don't get is how they think it's going to work. I'm taking a guess here that the majority of people going to Anguilla are not the type to be interested in such sideshows. And it doesn't look like people on St Martin are going to come over for it as they will just go to the one on St. Martin.

So how are they going to make their money?

Very sad.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphin Discovery has been approved

Ohhh....okay Ellen, when you said "pros" I thought you might think this type of entertainment enterprise is a good thing. LOL! Since you've been coming to AXA long before my time, I would have thought that you would be saddened to see this happening on the island.

As to for Onekbear's notion that "consumer demand" is driving this enterprise. I'd say that was pretty naive to say the least. When it's up and running let's see if the price points are structured for the incomes of Anguillians so they can take their children. Doubt it!!!

Which means that the "consumer demands" of a people who visit the island occasionally and are so jaded everything wonderful that Anguilla already has to offer isn't enough should be deemed good judges of what the island needs????

OKB, if you'd ever been to Straw Hat in Forest Bay and understood how those of us who've been going to AXA for awhile have seen projects take up time and space to ultimately fail or go nowhere, perhaps you'd appreciate my perspective.

"Consumer demand" married with developers said that Anguilla needed a golf course. Greg Norman came down and opened it; didn't make Temenos successful.

My bottom line is that every island has unique and wonderful things to offer vacationers whatever their interests. I don't think visitors should determine what any island needs for their short stays to be more entertaining.

Get answers to your questions about Anguilla