We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you bring any food supplies?

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Do you bring any food supplies?

With the help of the info on Trip Advisor, we are planning our first trip to Anguilla. We only began planning this past week for a trip next month!! We are planning a stay in a hotel/condo with a full kitchen and was thinking of bringing some food items with us (coffee, soups, snacks, etc) and then purchase items like eggs, milk, etc. Was wondering if anyone brings some food with them and if so, any suggestions? I'm sure most items can be purchaesd on the Island, but for cost and convenience, was thinking of bringing some stuff. Years ago we went to St. Martin often, sometimes for 2 weeks. We enjoyed walking along the beach in the morning to get our fresh baguette which we would have with eggs, then have the rest of the baguette at lunch with tuna fish I would bring. Dinner was out or pick up at the lolos. Was thinking would like to do the same in Anguilla. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Don't plan any vacations without the help of the great people on Trip Advisor. Thanks.

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

I guess it depends on whether you are doing carry on or checking a bag what you can and/or want to bring. For the last few years, we have checked an old suitcase with food and lotions that we put in a dumpster or give it away after we get there so only carryon the way home.

You can buy a lot there but if you like to cook and use spices, take some of your faves in little snack ziplock bags. Condos/Villas usually have salt/pepper, and maybe spices left by previous guests but you never know how old they are. We usually take cereal we know we cannot find down there and cheeses and crackers that we especially like and cannot get down there. You could bring a baggie with coffee to get you started. Ask the condo management if they supply coffee filters and, if not, what kind of filter the pots use so you can bring a filters rather than buying a whole supply down there. You can buy tuna in cans in most stores. If you love baquettes, be sure to go first thing in the morning to Gerauds--fresh and delicious!

Enjoy and please do a trip report!!!

USA
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

Earl Grey tea, nothing else in the am. Seriously, unless you have food allergies, you will find all you need at the stores.

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

We always bring snack things like granola bars and nuts no matter where we go on vacation. In Anguilla we rent a unit with a kitchen so we bring our own coffee. Everything else we just pick up at the grocery store.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

Horselady,

Can you please share the types of cheese you bring in your luggage -that won't melt in transfers and travel safely> I found the grocery stores in Anguilla only carried Gouda and would like to bring more of a varied selection.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,126 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

Just coffee and filters for the morning after arrival. We go out shopping first thing the next morning.

Ellen

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

I have to have a 2 large mugs of good tea in the morning to wake up, so bring a couple of boxes of Yorkshire Gold Tea. We used to bring gluten free bread, but my husband isn't bothered about this anymore and manage with crackers etc we find in the shops. We find everything we need in the supermarkets, and tuna and mayo baguettes for lunch are very popular in our family.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

For our 12 days in May vacations we go carryon. We stay in a villa and cook in quite a bit and so our must brings that we cannot get on island are a lb. of favorite coffee and 2 chunks of parmigiano reggiano. We fill two 3 oz. containers with a best quality EVO.

We also bring a bag of fleur de del and a small disposable pepper grinder.

This year had room for 1 lb. of rustichella d'abruzzo spagetti, 1lb. of orzo,

bag of Splitz pretzels, and box of favorite crackers from Rustic Bakery.

We sometimes bring can of tuna. This year saw the great tuna in a glass jar that we get at Whole Foods at Alberts!

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

Cygnet,

We bring hard cheeses, like Piave (we find in Whole Foods here), good Guyere, and Manchego. I wrap them in paper towels to keep them cold but really don't need to because the cargo holds are usually cool. Hard cheeses are best at room temp anyway. Have not had a problem.

Really good cheese is hard to come by in AXA and we love our cheese and wine as lunch or snack. Lots of good fruit to accompany our repast on island.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

We buy everything there. Not like 23 yrs ago, when we first started going to Anguilla, you can now get just about anything you need. We arrive at the airport, pick up our car and head right to the grocery store......Lakes in the valley, I have a list I keep for each time I go, Don't forget to stop and get bottled water too.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you bring any food supplies?

Horselady, I love your idea of bringing cheese and we might try that next time.

Carib210, I second the suggestions of bringing along small ziplock packets of your favorite spices if you intend to do much of your own cooking while here. There's not always a very wide selection of spices to buy on-island, and it's frustrating to pay for the full jar/canister when you're only going to use it for 1-2 weeks.