We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish question

USA
Level Contributor
271 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish question

I am in Anguilla and I have encountered o problem that in 8 years I didn't have. There are jellyfish on Meads Bay and Randevous and my daughter doesn't want to go in the water anymore ( not even wearing the wet suit) . I got stung 3 times, once it hurt for about 4 hours, the other 2 times it was mild, but I would rather not have the experience anymore. Does anybody know when is a jellyfish season ( if there is such a thing) and how long until they'll disapear? Also, can somebody tell me if Shoal Bay has them, too.

Thank you.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
43 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish question

Hi, we have encountered massive amount of jeilies as well. Most seem to be the harmless gooseberry type (the ones washed up on Mead's) They are also very prevalent at Shoal Bay and upper Shoal Bay. We have done extensive snorkeling, sometimes in what seems like a sea of them. I have been stung once, but it was by the other ones, the ones that are clear and look like they have a little brown leaf dangling from them. We did not encounter any in Little Bay and very few down Mead's by Malliouhana.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish question

I haven't encountered any this week in Barnes Bay or Shoal Bay East, if that's at all helpful. as minor as they are, a jellyfish sting can really be irksome and ruin an otherwise fun day at the beach.

We're off to Meads Bay to spend the morning. Hopefully won't encounter any!

USA
Level Contributor
271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish question

Thank you. We are at CJ and no jellyfish here. The water is a little colder than other beaches, maybe that's a plus. We are planning a trip to Prickle Pear and Little Bay next week and we might try Shoal Bay East tomorrow. I will keep posting updates.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish question

Yes, this is strange, I just arrived in anguilla. Hopefully I won't run into any stinging jellies. Last visit to Anguilla was in 2008 and we ran into some tiny jellies at meads bay. The locals said that with global warming the waters are warmer and thus the jellies are breeding earlier and more than usual.

USA
Level Contributor
271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish question

We went to CJ in the afternoon and there are hundreds of baby jellyfish in the water. They are about the size of long rice, but bulkier.

Tomorrow we'll try Crocus Bay.

6. Re: Jellyfish question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 17:15
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish question

We snorkeled in Abaco in the middle of millions of jellyfish! Very weird feeling! Seems like the ones in AXA now aren't the stinging kind--at least right now! What should we bring with us "just in case" we find stinging ones when we come in July (ammonia?) .

USA
Level Contributor
271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish question

Shoal Bay East is clear. But I heard somebody saying that there are thousands by the coral.

Crocus Bay has small ones and few.

Anguilla
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish question

Hi! I was in Shoal Bay East yesterday; there were several jelly fish, however that is nothing unusual or uncommon during this time of the year. During the summer months you will spot several jelly fish pulsing around in the water, they are completely harmless, there is no need to be alarmed or feel threatened.

Kafi Gumbs

Deputy Director of Scientific Research/Biologist

Department of Fisheries and Marine Resources

Anguilla

Email: Kafi.gumbs@gov.ai

USA
Level Contributor
271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish question

Thank you for your input. We are enjoying our stay regardless.