We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SXM - AXA question

Baltimore
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
SXM - AXA question

If I am arriving in SXM at 2:36 PM, which is the more practical option (not counting the public ferry) for travelling to AXA: a 3:00 PM Anguilla Air Services Flight, a 4:00 PM GB Express boat ride, or a 4:30 PM Anguilla Air Services flight? Is the 3 PM AAS flight possible if we don't check luggage?

Same question on the return. If our flight departs SXM at 5:50 PM, which is best: a 12:30 PM GB Express boat, a 1:00 PM AAS plane, or a 3:00 AAS plane (arriving 3:15 PM)? If public ferry were an option on this return, what time should I try to depart from Blowing Point?

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SXM - AXA question

Can't help you on the arrival, but if I were to book using your return options, I would pick AAS for the 3:00 departure for my 5:50 SXM flight. Unless maybe it's a Saturday...

Anecdotal evidence suggests that once you eliminate the public ferry from your options, that returning to SXM by plane rather than by boat will follow a more reliable schedule.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SXM - AXA question

Thooper- we just took AAS from sxm to axa and found that you need about an hour at least between arriving flights. I think I read on TA that AAS requires at least an hour. We arrived at 1:15 and got on the 3pm flight. They split DH and I up he went through sxm immigration and to collect our checked luggage and get it tagged for our AAS flight. I took our carryons through security and went upstairs to wait for him. Hoping our return trip next week is as efficient.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 13:56
Baltimore
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SXM - AXA question

Emily - what would be your concern about a Saturday? I think I agree with you that taking a 3 PM AAS flight that arrives in SXM at 3:15 would leave ample time for our 5:50 PM flight.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SXM - AXA question

Part of the pure pleasure of vacationing in Anguilla IMHO is that trip across the water from SXM. I've flown but would never do it again. I'd relax and take the 4:00pm GB Express. Have a cocktail to get your holiday started before you board the boat.

On the return trip take the 12:30pm GB Express. Several DE's on this forum have raved about them. I always use Funtime though.

Trinigirlmd,

How's it going so far? What do you think of AXA? ;~> Needless to say, I hope you're having a sensational holiday!!!

USA
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SXM - AXA question

I think I am in the minority here, and I am less experienced in Anguilla than many others (4th trip coming up), but I like the public ferry fine. In particular, I don't want to have to worry about a schedule on arrival, whether my plane will be late, which boat I should book, etc. Instead, whenever I arrive at SXM I take a cab to Marigot and whatever the next boat is to AXA. It isn't posh, but it seems to work pretty well.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SXM - AXA question

Lucian- we're having a great time! I so admire people who post daily reports but we've been do "busy" skipping around to different beaches that by 8 pm I'm asleep! We loved Anacaona our first 5 nights but then we saw our upgraded Paradise Cove suite and didn't want to leave. Fave beaches are SBE and Cove Beach. We're already planning how we can get axa into our vacation rotation - our next 2 trips this year are already booked and locked in :-(

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SXM - AXA question

Arrival 4pm GB - while I love AAS, I love GB even more and Saturdays are a bear at SXM airport - very crowded with all the timeshare people arriving and departing.

Last trip we had to take Funtime on the return as the GB schedule did not work for us, too much money to spend on AAS on the return.

Ellen

South Jersey
Level Contributor
703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SXM - AXA question

onekbear - I agree with you wholeheartedly! I'm not in the minority, but don't know how many trips I've made. Guess I'd have to count the entry stamps on my current and old passports! I can't deal with the angst of all that planning & worrying about schedules either. Love that taxi trip to Marigot, chatting it up with the taxi driver, seeing the local color and being glad I'm staying on Anguilla. I always have a rum punch w/Capt. Joe at the ferry terminal, catching up with anyone I know who's also waiting for the next ferry. Makes me feel even more a part of the island and not like a tourist or visitor. You get it!

9. Re: SXM - AXA question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 17:15
Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SXM - AXA question

thooper, my query about saturday is that during high season it can be a very busy day with regularly scheduled flights into SXM as well as seasonal charters--if there are several of those arriving or taking off around the same time you're trying to arrive or take off, it means much longer lines everywhere: immigration on arrival, checking in & security upon departure. Which means, of course, that you'll need ample time on either end.

Though I've never taken the public ferry (at least not yet) anecdotal evidence from reading this board and others for the last few years suggests that the public ferry is the most reliable. Except during ground seas.