We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

I wanted to say a big thank you to all of you here for your suggestions and advice. I have been lurking here for weeks and just returned from a fantastic vacation on Anguilla. We stayed at Cuisinart which was wonderful - big beautiful room and gorgeous beach. We arrived on Saturday and ate dinner at the lobby bar which was surprisingly good.

Sunday we hung around the resort until Ronnie delivered the car. Went to the Sunset Bar at Viceroy for drinks late afternoon. Pretty hotel, but not a very carribean feel. We liked Cuisinart better. As we were leaving, the production crew for Real Housewives arrived. Made us even more glad we were not staying there. (They were at Scilly Cay on Wednesday so we decided to skip that this trip.) We then went to Straw Hat for dinner which was delicious.

Monday, we went to Gwen's. Thank you, thank you to whoever recommended Gwen's and talked about her hammocks. We spent 2 glorious days on those hammocks enjoying the view, eating delicious food and reading. The beach is gone from Gwen's but there is a ladder to get down to the water where there is a little beach. Good snorkeling right off that stretch of sand. Gwen said that they will be re-building the beach within the next year or so which is good news. After Gwen's we went to Sea Spray for smoothies (delicious). Pamela is so warm and welcoming and a wealth of knowledge. We had dinner at Italia at Cuisinart which was ok, pretty restaurant, ok food.

Tuesday, we went to Davida's and lounged on their chairs and had a delicious lunch. We walked down the beach and Calvin gave us a ride to Little Bay. Such a pretty beach and great snorkeling. We stopped at Sea Spray again for smoothies. We had dinner at Veya which my husband described as the best meal he has ever eaten. It was a lovely restaurant with great service and delicious food.

Wednesday, we went out with Chocolat to Prickly Pear and Sandy Island. Captain Rollins is so nice and it was a great day. Everyone on the boat was friendly and we had a great time. We went to Picante for dinner that evening.

Thursday, we went back to Gwen's and her hammocks. We stayed so late that we actually took down the hammocks and brought them in for her as they were closing up. I took a video of my view from the hammock so I can watch it when I am stressed at work. We went to Pimms for dinner which was delicious. CJ was incredibly quiet. When it got dark, you could hardly see any lights on in the rooms from Pimms which means the hotel was either almost empty or everyone was out.

Friday, we spent the day at the Cuisinart on Rendevous Bay. This is such a big, wide beach and the water was so clear. I agree that the beach chairs need to be replaced, but that was easy to overlook given how beautiful the beach and water were. We had dinner at Blanchard's Beach Shack and finished the night with their giant frozen yogurt sundaes.

And then on Saturday we went home. We had a wonderful time. Thank you again for all the advice you provided through your posts. The trip was so much better because of your suggestions. So many people we met at the hotel spent the week only at the hotel and missed so much. My husband was amazed when we were at Davida's and I point to Calvin down the beach and said that he was going to take us to Little Bay. That is something I could have only learned here.

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

So glad you enjoyed, and that you made your way around to different places. Are you planning a return trip yet?

clermont
Level Contributor
252 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

I too love Anguilla :) can't wait to go back!!! And Rollins is a trip.. Lol

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

So glad you had such an excellent first experience! I was nodding my head along at so many points of your report: Pamela at SeaSpray, the dinner at Veya, the utter relaxation in those hammocks.

Hard to imagine that some people come to the island and stay at their resort the whole time, isn't it?!

Boston...
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you are another AXA convert!

I had to laugh when I saw your comment about Calvin. In every "travel couple" there is usually one "planner" and one "follower". I am the planner, and during our last AXA vacation, we took friends who had never been and they let me "plan" each day. At first, they made fun of the comment that "I learned about this from the forum" but, by the end of the week, they were asking "what did the forum people say". Great resource with great people willing to share their experience makes for a enhanced trip. Now you have to "plan" your next visit!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Hey, J and J! I was reading your trip report and wondered who was writing it but your last night at Beach Shack eating a sundae let me know it was you guys! Hope you had a had a great reunion with your son in MIA!

So glad you LOVED Anguilla and sounds like you will return in the future! It never disappoints us!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for your excellent, balanced, down-to-earth review. Your trip sounds alot like ours. It was a pleasure reading your report! (Now, have to plan a trip back)

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Hi cmanger. It was great meeting you and that sundae was delicious. ejcrowe, I think it was your blog that told me about the hammocks at Gwen's so thank you!

8. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 17:15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time. We never miss DaVida, lunch on Sunday and dinner on Sat are two of our regular stops. We have never been disappointed.

Thanks for sharing!

Ellen

10. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 05:17