We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

Hi All -

Returned to the US from 16 days in paradise, and thought I'd follow up on my first post:

The Great . . .

- Turtles Nest: rented a two bedroom unit in the new building, right on the pool. Unit was clean, large, and recently decorated. Staff was outstanding. Walk out the door to feet in the sand. The good part of first floor was no steps; the bad part would be if the pool/resort was busier, there would not be alot of privacy in this unit.

- Blanchard's Beach Shack: As mentioned many times, well prepared "gourmet beach food" at very reasonable prices. Very friendly and accommodating staff, with great location.

- Big Spring Restaurant: On the east end by Island Harbor you'll find a french-trained chef from Lyon who makes fabulous food at bargain prices. Not the best view in the world, but you can always close your eyes while you chew!

- Henri, the artist: Henri, who used to have an art studio by Maderimean on Shoal Bay, spent the morning painting with our two girls for no charge (we did, of course, buy some of his beautiful artwork). What an amazing artist and gentleman!

- Managers Cocktail Party at Viceroy: happening, chic, packed, and . . . free!

The Good

Straw Hat: Went with friends. Lovely setting right on the beach. Friendly hosts and staff. Overcooked fish (which I know is easy to do), and owners offered to removed it from our bill (which we did not accept).

Mead's Bay: I can hear the howls already. I admit it, I am a Shoal Bay person, but IMHO, Mead's Bay is just "nice". Pretty, but not spectacular, hard to walk on (by water, there is a noticeable slope and the softer sand is very soft), and although I loved staying at TN, it was rather an eyesore to look at from the beach.

Corner Bar Pizza: decent Caribbean pizza at reasonable prices

The Other

Anguilla Power: For those other "middle aged" posters, waking up in the middle of the night bathed in sweat as the power is out (and so is the A/C). Windows opened, a touch of brandy, finally back asleep then BAM, we have power again. Time to give up and get coffee already! LOL

The Elephant Family who arrived at TN halfway through the week: Well, they must have been elephants, as humans cannot possibly make that much noise on said blackout night on the steps as these folks. Certain there were no librarians in the bunch!

The Magnificent

Maundays Bay: Fourth visit to Anguilla, first time at Maundays. Diamonds in the water, incredible beach, beautiful manicured resort. If there were beach chairs for me to use, I might still be there. If you haven't seen it, put it on the list.

Until next time!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

Thanks for posting your thoughts! Fun to read and still very informative.

For our first visit, we are honing in on Frangipani and Meads Bay Villas as far as where to stay.....so it was interesting to hear your thoughts on Meads Bay vs. Maundays and Shoal Bay. (We have also considered Cuisinart and Cap Jaluca, but for one reason or another, we keep going back to the other two.) Either way, we will make it a point to visit the other beaches, particularly Maundays to see those 'diamonds in the water'.....sounds beautiful!

Sorry to hear about the 'elephant family' (funny though!) and the power outage. But it sounds like you still had a great vacation regardless.

Thanks again for sharing!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

By the way, are there other resorts or villas you would recommend on Shoal Bay or Maundays that may be similar to Frangipani or Meads Bay Villas? I've looked into it a little bit, but perhaps not enough?

We like the 'new-ness'/upscale furnishings, etc. of Frangi and MBV, a more boutique feel, being beachfront, having a full kitchen (especially if we decide to bring our kids) and a (beach-side) pool.

We also like to be able to walk to a few good restaurants (but plan to rent a car for most of our visit anyway).

Any other suggestions you can think of? We plan on visiting sometime next year.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 20:15
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

We stayed at Frangipani for the first time this summer. We have stayed at Cap other times. LOVED Cap and Maundays Bay. But, what we loved about Meads Bay is being able to stay on the beach with sunlight longer and seeing sunsets! It was great that Frangipani's infinity pool was right there next to the beach--I could cool off in the pool and still be able to talk to my hubby on the beach! It was great to be able to walk to dinners and lunch, too.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

Even though I stay on Meads, I agree with your assessment, my favorite beach is Rendezvous Bay.

Thanks for your reviews and your time, it is always fun to read the adventures of others. ☺

Ellen

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

Chloe - I don't think there are "frangi-like" places on Shoal Bay (unfortunately) - the closest would be Shoal Bay Villas which, from my understanding, are nice simple villas on a spectacular beach. I don't think anyone would put "chic" and "Shoal Bay Villas" in the same sentence, but I've never stayed in the units themselves. Just a hunch!

Hope springs eternal for the rebirth of Ku (and the hope that Ray de man purchases some new umbrellas!).

Ellen - also love Rendezvous - BTW, we visited Dune Preserve, and Bankie treated my group to a private 3 song concert - it was tremendous! Love the water there, and Garvey at the Sunshine Shack. The water is great, the scenery is very nice, just (for me) seems to be missing just a bit that SBE might have. Perhaps the hammocks at Gwens!

Best to all!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

Thanks cmanger and JS-NJ for the info. Sounds like it'll be Frangipani or MBBV for us, and exploring the other beaches. From what I've gathered, taking time to see the other beaches is what an Anguilla vacation is all about anyway!

That as well as some great food and lots of relaxation is what we're looking forward to when we finally make our way to the island.

7. Re: Second half trip report, the great, the good and . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 01:19