We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry

boston
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
ferry

Can anyone suggest an alternative plan for charted ferry to AXA from SXM for 2 adults and 3 children? We have never used the public ferry and are looking to save some $ this year.

Also,are you able to prebook a cab to meet you @ SXM airport to Marigot?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry

ciaBoston, sounds as if the public ferry would be your best bet as far as expense goes.

Check www.Traveltalkonline.com on the St Martin board, perhaps they will have the name of a private van for hire.

Good luck,

Ellen

Granville MA
Level Contributor
644 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry

We did the public ferry in Nov. with 2 kids and luggage. I was a little worried about how it would all come together but it all worked out fine!! I had pre-arranged for a taxi to meet us at the airport to take us to Marigot. (Wilfred Brooks was the guy's name- he is a sponsor on Traveltalkonline) He was very nice but we did find that there are a LOT of taxis ready and waiting so pre-arranging isn't necessary. We have used GB Express but like you were looking to save some money on this trip.

boston
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry

Do you happen to have Willfords contact information or #?

Granville MA
Level Contributor
644 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry

Wilfred's email is guavaberry58@yahoo.com Another guy that we used is Gus. Long story short, he actually came to our rescue when we returned to SXM and needed a ride to the airport. His email is gus-cab@hotmail.com

boston
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry

Thanks ,Was the ride very bumpy? Are you able to sit outside the boat"

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
406 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry

No need to make reservations for cab from SXM to Marigot. We always use the next random cab that's available. There are many. We always take the public ferry going to Anguilla and GB Express back to SXM. Was the ride bumpy? Depends on the sea conditions but I'm a sailor so it doesn't matter to me. You can sit outside the boat but be forewarned that water can be sprayed onto you from the random wave movements. Inside, however, may be subject to diesel fumes, depending on the wind. One of our group got fairly soaked on the way to Anguilla on the public ferry last year but that's the first time that happened . I'd rather take my chances with rogue waves than diesel fumes. It's a blast!!! 84 days and counting!

boston
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry

Id mich prefer getting soaked than inhaling those fumes.Why GB Express upon return? We use them often,but with 3 adult children this trip we are trying to curtail some expenses.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,979 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry

I think some people are over reacting, it is only 25 minutes ride and people are taking it every day, and have done so for years.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry

It is not a matter of over-reacting. If you are sensitive to diesel fumes or exhaust gases (and more people are than one might think), 20 minutes is plenty long enough to get really sick, get a migraine or whatever your reaction is. People who get easily motion sick may also have a bad time on some of the older ferries if the sea is rough or waves come from the wrong direction.

shelbygirl315
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry

I am going over on the Ferry for the first time in April. I am fine with boats in calm water, but open sea's can be a different story with me. (like deep sea fishing). With this ferry is it on calm water where you can see land or is it in open water alot? with it being only 25 min, I can't see that it is, but thought I would ask.