We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

Hi All,

After doing my research, I have come up with the following plan for my honeymoon in June.

Split my stay between Viceroy in Anguilla and then a few nights in Hotel L'Esplanade in St. Martin.

Are there better choices for honeymoon hotels in Anguilla and St. Martin? Are these good choices?

Advice welcome.

Thanks.

Jags

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

Not sure what your travel preferences are but uness you are going to St. Maarten for the gambling and nightlife, my advice would be to either flip your stay and be in Anguilla last or stay the entire time in Anguilla. There are people who love St. Maarten but I am not one of them. I would hate to spend the second half of my trip wishing I were back on Anguilla. As far as the Viceroy, it is very nice and modern. We prefer Cap but you can't go wrong. Rent a car and go to Rendezvous and Shoal Bay East. Congratulations on the wedding.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 22:03
Granville MA
Level Contributor
607 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

In April we split our trip visiting Anguilla first. As much as I love St. Maarten and enjoyed the fun and activities I think our group was wishing that we were back on Anguilla. This April we will be with friends that have never been to the Caribbean. We have decided to enjoy the nightlife and fun of SXM first, then spend the second half of our trip relaxing on Anguilla. Only you can decide if you want to party first then relax or vice versa! Have a great trip!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,263 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

Anguilla is wonderful for a honeymoon destination. You will be disappointed in St Martin. I would combine St Barts and Anguilla. St Barts is a WAY better honeymoon destination than St Martin.

Congratulations!

Edited: 07 January 2013, 00:15
Berkeley Heights...
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

Our first time there in 2009 we spent 3 nights in St Martin and 4 in Anguilla. We split 2 nights at Le Petit and 1 night at L'Esplanade in Grand Case, which I think were sister properties. There are things to do in St.Martin, which we weren't into, like gambling and bars etc. The French side has many good restaurants, but the Grand Case beach felt dirty with stray dogs everywhere and we got to watch them poop in the ocean, which was interesting. . L'Esplanade is an ok property, but it's not directly on the beach and felt cramped although the views were nice.

Once we arrived in Anguilla, we wished we had spent the whole trip there. So much cleaner, quieter, nicer beaches and people and less crime. We had our car trunk broken into and they stole a pair of sneakers and pants(I should've known better). I would never stay in St. Martin again, other than possibly a day trip for some shopping(but why would i want to waste a whole beach day in St. Martin?) and now stay strictly in Anguilla at Frangipani, down the beach from Viceroy. It's much smaller and quaint, and right on the beach. Viceroy is impressive, but we prefer a smaller resort. I'd rather stay at Frangipani and use the Viceroy for their Sunset Lounge. But to each their own.

If you like upscale service, and spas etc, Viceroy is for you. You can't beat the location other than having your rooms right on the beach like Frangipani. Meads Bay is our favorite beach. Enjoy!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

On my last trip I spent a few nights in St Martin before heading over to Anguilla. I agree with the other posts that you should switch and do Anguilla on the latter half of your trip. I won't hate on St Martin, it'a good place to have a little fun with lots of things to do. Anguilla is the ultimate place for relaxation and has a laid-back vibe that you will appreciate that much more after a few night in St Martin.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

Either Anguilla the whole time or I agree with the St Barts split. Skip St Maarten. In Anguilla look at Cap Juluca, Sheriva & Cuisinart. And definately rent a car prior to arrival...lots of great restaurants to try and beaches to visit.

7. Re: Honeymoon planning. Looking for advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:17