We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis

How much does it cost and how long does it take to go from ferry at Blowing Point to Shoal Bay East? Will there be taxis waiting there at the end of the day to take us back or should I arrange the pickup with the driver on the way over?

Wilton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
39 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis

Should be about $40. There is an official taxi dispather at the ferry. Inquire and book there. Also ask what a return should cost. Some of the cabbies at Shoal could try to charge extra. Should be plenty there for your return.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis

Taxis in Anguilla operate on a fixed schedule of charges based on zones. There are 10 zones on the island. See www.anguillaguide.com/article/archive/212/ if you would like to be prepared.

Other than someone trying to suggest your drop-off or pick-up point is just on the other side of a boundary (not difficult given the lack of detail on the charts available to the average traveller), there should be no extra charges that are not listed in the reference above.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis

Thanks AXAregular, that is exactly what I was looking for. Based on your experience what would be the best beach bar to hang out, eat/drink and snorkel at SBE?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis

Several of the beach bars are getting good reviews from their fans, and no doubt you can find them on this forum. Personally I would not go to Uncle Earnie's which is right at the main entrance to SBE. It was the place to be when Uncle Earnie was alive, but has gone downhill since then IMO, plus that is the one access point where you are likely to get hussled for renting beach chairs (and they are not even nice ones). Gwen's at Upper Shoal Bay ("around the bend" on the east side of SBE) used to be a great place, but erosion has taken away a lot of the experience, plus Gwen's prices are (to say it politely) high. Tap and the Scratch Band are the good points at Gwen's on Sunday, if you can live with the other issues (with apologies to all of Gwen's fans, of which I used to be one).

There are many nice options apart from those two, but I would suggest that you ask the taxi to drop you off at Elodia's, which is close(r) to the point at the east end of SBE. Don't forget to walk up and down the beach and see what other options there are for when you come back your next visit.

Because if you are like most people, you will be back and not just for a day trip...

5. Re: Taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla