We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

My husband and I will be going to Viceroy in the next few weeks and we were wondering if its safe to walk to these restaurants (i.e. mangos, jacala, strawhat, blanchards, picante)? I understand that we would need to bring a flashlight and we do plan on renting a car for a couple of days but would prefer to walk overall. It seems that driving to these restaurants would take longer than just walking? Does anyone know if the viceroy will take you/pick you up in a golf cart? Is the parking lot easily accessible from the rooms or far?

Boston
Level Contributor
370 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

Should be able to walk to all last month you had to climb over some rocks to get to mangoes fine during the day probably not at night

J H
Lanoka Harbor, New...
Level Contributor
501 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

You can definitely walk to StrawHat, Jacala & Blanchards. all right down the beach. Picante is to the right at the end of the Viceroy driveway.(long driveway). Maybe you can get them to run you to the end of driveway in a golf cart, then walk. There is really no shoulder on the road and can be a little dangerous if cars are coming. It is dark. Do Mangoes for lunch so you can see where you're going.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

My husband and I found the walk to Jacala and Blanchards a bit long at night, but it was perfectly safe.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

I have seen lots of guests walk from viceroy to mangos. This time of year the beach is coming back.

Mangos stopped serving lunch for the season, now only dinner.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

Thanks everyone - could anyone comment about walking specifically at night to any of these restaurants?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

I have walked to Straw Hat, Jacala and Blanchard's from Viceroy. I would not walk to Jacala's or Blanchard's again because the round trip was just too far (about 20 mins each way) along the uneven beach without a lot of visibility, but Straw Hat is an easy walk both ways (5 minutes.)

Wilton, CT
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

Pack a couple of lightweight flashlights. If you walk to Picante (highly recomended spot!) at night you will need them for safety. Also good for the beach at night.

New York, NY
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

I have walked as well as drove to all of these multiple times from the Viceroy at night. All are walking distance and not unsafe, even at night. With that, the walk down the beach can be more of a workout then you might think (uneven beach, sinking sand), and expect to break a sweat if its a warm night (stinks to sit down for a nice dinner sweating). Every time we have walked down, we take a cab back.

For Picante -- ask the guys at the front to give you a ride to the top of the property on the golf cart, and you can sometimes convince them to take you all the way with a few $$. Also keep a look out for cars (remember they are on the other side) and there is also a dog in the yard of one of the houses along the way that can provide quite a jolt in the dark (tied up, but scared my wife and i one night).

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,780 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

You should try Ocean Echo..between Anacaona and Straw Hat....a new restaurant, pretty decent food and service, and less than 10 minutes walk from Viceroy. (beachside)

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Viceroy- Walking to Restaurants at Night?

I am probably among the minority but I really can't condone walking the beach to restaurants at night. The beach is not well lit in most areas and over the past several years there have been some incidents against people walking the beach at night. Why tempt fate. Better to be safe than sorry