We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

I wanted to bring a small portable charcoal grill to Anguilla....is charcoal easy to find? Suggestions on where to buy it? Price? Thanks.

Wilton, CT
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

Where are you staying? If West End, we have gotten it in the past from Foods 95, and also Lakes.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

We buy the locally made charcoal from someone's yard. There are signs posted on the main road. Depends where you are staying. There is a place on Blowing Point Road, on Long Path Road, and others. We paid $25 for a large bag.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

Locally-produced charcoal is environmentally destructive. No one dares speak out against nice, elderly, hard-working, honest Anguillian men trying to make a few dollars. It's certainly a matter of controversy. Charcoal making for centuries, and the goats, have contributed to the desertification of the island. Using charcoal for cooking puts soot and gases into the atmosphere. A lot more than using LPG. I choose to buy imported charcoal and not know what underdeveloped country I'm helping to destroy.

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

Sounds like the Ostrich method.....

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

TJR, what do you mean about the goats?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

There are thousand of articles about desertification and goats, but here's the first thing I found on Google. This is from an article about Dog Island by the Anguilla National Trust:

"...feral (wild) goats are also found on Dog Island. Domesticated goats were brought there years ago from the mainland when livestock farming used to take place. These goats are what are left of that herd. As in most places in Anguilla, goats that roam free tend to have a strong impact on the environment because they eat almost all types of vegetation, thereby destroying important habitat that other species rely on to survive. Sometimes they eat so much that they cause almost desert-like conditions."

Many scientists believe that when Anguilla was covered with trees we had far more rain and a green island. Goats seem to have an affinity for desirable native plants, leaving us with more and more "kasha" trees and things that even a giraffe wouldn't eat. Or a goat.

7. Re: Where can I purchase charcoal for my grill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:17