We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

Much have been said and discussed about reviews and ratings, - just thought I share this -

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314546/Jokers-…

Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

Oh that is too funny !

No I mean that's not funny at all...........

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

OT. We have an area in Antigua called Falmouth. On restaurant reviews on the last page it gives a number of restaurants that have yet to be reviewed. Most of them are in the Falmouth area. However the Falmouth in question is in he UK. I have reported it to them at least 3 times yet it is still listed as Falmouth Antigua. !!

Regards

Mark

tripadvisor.com/…EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

That made me smile OT, thanks for posting!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

TA list these Anguilla restaurants. I think only two of them actually exist. Last year I sent them detailed information on most of them. They ignored me.

'12 additional restaurants with no user reviews

Mala's Cottage, The Valley Ranny and Jo's Ice Cream, The Valley Frenchies, The Valley Gold Dragon, The Valley Fujau, The Valley Totally Grilled & Hot Plate, The Valley Pepper Pot, The Valley Oriental, The Valley Cora's Pepperpot, The Valley Carl's BBQ, The Valley Carlito Gardens, West End Village Moments, Island Harbour'

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

Thanks OT. Trip Advisor just doesn't seem to get the message. Sad.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

Some of these did exist at one time. TA should really get on the stick and remove the confusion.

Mala's Cottage is actually the Roti Hut.

The Pepper Pot & Cora's Pepper Pot were one and the same (and were reasonable and delicious!) - located diagonally across from the Albert Lake gas station in the little strip of stores just to the north of the former Barlclay's Bank. I think Digicel took over that building.

Ranny & Jo's Ice Cream was located in the plaza across from St. Gerard's RC Church - former Cotton Gin building. (Cotton Gin is now at the Museum in East End.) They had homemade ices, ice cream & sorbets. They even had a little 3-wheeled authentic Italian Ice Cream truck that used to ply the island - pre-Tropical Treats. Jo used to wear an authentic Italian ice cream man outfit, complete with cap. Delish!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

You can inform TA these places have closed by clicking on them, click on update restaurant details and tick the permanently closed box. I have done this for the 4 mentioned by Rel-Axa. Let's see if they disappear !

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

The Daily Mail article clearly illustrates how easy it is to manipulate ratings. In this case the manager was made aware of what was going on and put a stop to it, by having the posts removed.

Other establishments would probably not do so, - especially if ratings are 5* .

9. Re: Reliability of Trip Advisor hotel reviews and ratings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 05:17