We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla for Christmas?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Anguilla for Christmas?

Trying to decide on a location for vacation over Christmas. Anguilla has been high on my list for awhile now, but I'm concerned that the things that draw me to it (uncrowded beaches, laid back vibe) will be lost because of timing. If you have been during Christmas holidays, what was your experience? I know it's the most expensive time to visit, but I'm more concerned about crowds.

About us: mid-40s, no kids, plan to spend most of our time relaxing on the beach, enjoying casual dining and beach bars, a few excursions to upscale dining, a few meals at home, some live local music, maybe a day excursion.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

You asked the same question on the Fodor's travel forum and, like here, it didn't get any responses. That's probably because it's difficult to give you a definitive response. Christmas on Anguilla is like Christmas on any Caribbean Island - it's without a doubt the busiest couple weeks of the year. Hotels, resorts and rental villas will most likely be fully booked non-holiday weeks meaning there will be definitely people on the beaches, in the restaurants and at the beach bars.

Will the island seem crowded? That depend on what you compare it to. Certainly it will be more less crowded than places like St. Martin, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman or Aruba during the same time period but it will be a bit more hectic than Anguilla during a non-holiday period. The plus side is that Anguilla doesn't have all that many hotel rooms so even if they are all fully booked the actual number of tourists on the island won't be over burdensome. You should be able to find plenty of 'beach space" to enjoy without having to rub elbows with your neighbor but you may not have the beach all to yourself - it's the price you pay for going anywhere during Christmas Week.

If you do decide to go, I'd make sure you reserve a rental car ahead of time as they could be in short supply and be sure to make dinner reservations a few days prior to your meal (one exception make reservations for Christmas dinner as soon as you can to avoid disappointment.

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
272 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

Caribsurfer gives great advice. I agree with everything said. I think Anguilla will be one of the less-crowded, islands during the Holidays just because the hotels are not HUGE like on Aruba, St. Martin and the like. Go and enjoy-you won't regret. It's a magical place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

We have never visited Anguilla over the Christmas holiday and that is because so many people we have made friends with over our many years of visiting the island have said we would hate it - crowded beaches,difficulty with restaurant reservations and (as mentioned above) hire cars, competition for sun loungers etc. They know us and we trust their advice.

We have always visited in low season and do not plan to change.

Just my opinion - obviously many people would disagree because I know lots of places get repeat bookings year after year for the Christmas/New Year period. Only you can decide what is right for you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

Thanks for the advice. I've never been to any of the Caribbean islands; either at Christmas or at any other time. I would prefer to go during a less busy season, but unfortunately, this is when I have the time off. Based on the information I'm seeing so far, I think it will still be wonderful. Maybe my next trip will have better timing.

BTW, CaribSurfer -- if it's a faux pas to post a question on more than one forum, I apologize. I was just hoping for the widest audience for advice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

If xmas is your only time to travel, then Anguilla would certainly be one of the best islands to be on in terms of crowds. Avoid places like Viceroy - it will be a zoo. And yes, you'll probably need to make reservations to the hot restaurants, but that's not the end of the world. You will be able to find plenty of beach space. But it will be the most crowded it will ever get the rest of the year, so keep that in mind. You will have a GREAT time!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

I you don't want crowds, but have to travel over the holidays, then Anguilla is your best option. It certainly is busier than at other times but that is true everywhere (and everywhere else it is much busier than Anguilla any time of the year).

iluvdanny seems to be able to travel in low season. For a peace-and-quiet-seeker that is obviously great, but if you don't have that choice, Anguilla will be your best option any time of the year.

Just stay away from Viceroy, which seems to want to pack in the masses whenever they can. But then again, Viceroy is not Anguilla. At. All.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 22:41
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

Melissa - I didn't mean to imply it was a faux pas to post your question on more than one forum. In fact your instinct that you might get more exposure is good (although many "regular contributors often visit multiple sites). I merely pointed out that at the time I saw them neither had any replies - probably because it's difficult to describe how "crowded" one island might seem to someone who's never been there.

Anyway, I hope you found my repines and those of the other contributors helpful. Given your concerns if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to visit Anguilla at Christmas. Yes, it will be busy but not anywhere near as busy as the more "touristy" islands.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

All of the info has been very helpful -- we decided last night to go for it! Since we don't have anything to compare it to, it probably won't even seem that crowded to us.

Thanks especially for the advice to reserve car and restaurants ASAP. I will be back with other questions as soon as I get all the critical items taken care of. As always, TA is a great resource for travel planning. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to post.

9. Re: Anguilla for Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:18