We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on dinner plans?

washington, dc
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on dinner plans?

Leaving on Friday for 5 nights at Viceroy. My husband and I will be leaving our 4 little ones at home so we really just want to relax, eat and enjoy a few cocktails. We won't be renting a car, but are planning on using the same driver we have used during past visits. Thinking Friday night dinner at Straw Hat, Saturday night at Dolce Vita, Sunday night at Jacala, Monday night at Blanchards, and Tuesday night at Mangos. Figured we would have lunches at Viceroy, Beach Shack, and Ocean Echo. Any thoughts on doing Sciliy Cay or something of the like? I should add that I get carsick very easily, one trip we went from CJ to Hibernia and I couldn't recover enough to enjoy my lunch. So I would prefer things that aren't too far of a distance. Thanks!!

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

Not fun getting car sickness. I can add that Mangos is closed on Tuesdays. You have hit all my favorites close by and you might want to add Trattoria Tramonto, I love it at night and lunch.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

Hope you can get over to Cap Juluca to see Boss, he is fabulous, we had a great meal there at Spice in May.

I agree Trattoria Tramento is wonderful, beautiful setting, great food and service.

Also note, Blanchards closes on Sundays and Mondays in low season - not sure when that starts.

Unless you have already done so, I think you should try Veya, they always get rave reviews.

Have a great trip.

Ellen

Connecticut
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

Am staying at Frangipani now and the lunches at Strawhat are very good as well as the dinners and you are practically next door. I can attest to the freshness of the fish for a fish sandwich. I had asked the bartender about where we could get fresh fish that was just out of the water. He then took me to the kitchen and showed me the fresh whole mahi mahi they were getting ready to prepare! Doesn't get any better than that!

Great choice for Blanchards for dinner. It was absolutely fantastic all around - food, ambience, service.

new jersey
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

Please do not miss Jacala. It is right next to Blanchards and is truly unbelievable for lunch or dinner.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

To me, Veya is not to be missed.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

I would also vote for Veya - by far our favorite on the island.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

Here's another vote for Veya. We make sure to always do it twice for every vacation.

I love Blanchards Beach Shack and give them kudos for making it a great success--Meads Bay was missing exactly that type of casual and inexpensive beach bar. But I think that the fine dining Blanchards Restaurant is highly overrated.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

Thanks Emily I must have missed that when I read the book years ago. I have to say I was on the island when they talk about that huge wedding from Washington DC, and it was an event. I should reread it just to enjoy after all these years.

new jersey
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

I would scratch Viceroy lunch and dinner at Blanchards and in their place I would do Trattoria Tramento lunch and Veya dinner. And try to plan your meals around the live music at each restaurant (if possible). It was such a wonderful surprise last time on the island when Sproka was playing at Dolce Vita. He is not to be missed. Veya has live music several nights too. And hats off to Ellen, once again, with the solid advice to call (or have Viceroy concierge call) each place to see who is playing when. Schedules change during off season. Enjoy---you have chosen fabulous restaurants. (oh, PS---skip Scilly Cay too---the car ride to Island Harbour is the same road as to Hibernia)

10. Re: Thoughts on dinner plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 07:17