We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Nov 11-20

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Nov 11-20

Another glorious vacation to Anguilla for 9 days. Here's a quick summary.....

JetBlue from JFK to SXM

Taxi to Marigot/ Ferry to Blowing Point

Stayed at Sea View Apartments in Sandy Ground...best value and great location. $810 for 9 nights

Cheap Jeep rental from Summerset Rentals...$50/day for an older model

Breakfasts at Bon Jour Cafe, Gerauds, and Le Bon Pain

Lots of chicken legs from the chicken guy at Sandy Ground turn-around

Frequent stops at Mingz for ice, vodka, and soda

Beach days at SBE, Rendevous, Junks Hole, Captains Bay, Sandy Ground, Crocus Bay

Incredible meal at Tokyo Bay......wagyu beef, foie gras, sashimi,

$5 crayfish at On Da Rocks

Stopped for some local SeaMoss Drink....delicious. Tastes like eggnog

Kens Pork...actually had the pork...not ribs. It was really really good

More foie gras at Jacala. Beef tartar too...always great

Light dinner at Picante....hadn't been here in years and the place was hoppin' !!

Lobster on the beach at Da Vida...Omari singing his heart out

Amazing show at the Dune....Bankie's birthday concert...place was mobbed. We danced and danced some more. Glad to see their bar was stocked. Bankie and Omari and friends sang and played all night. Lots of familiar faces.

Rope climb to little bay for limin' and snorkeling

Conch seviche at Madearimans on the beach. Happy to patronize Rays reliable umbrellas

Good burger at Ripples

Great snapper at Johnnos

Strong drinks at Elvis's

Great wings at pumphouse

Excellent meatballs at Dolce Vida

More sushi at Viceroy sunset bar

Chef tasting menu at Veya....great talking to J and K and Omari singing

Some of the best sunsets we've seen unobscured by clouds on a few beaches

Stayed at Gwen's one evening until well after everyone had left...watched the moon rise and an amazing light show in the sky and off the water. We heard tribal drums coming from somewhere in the distance up the coast. I've always wanted to start a drum circle on the beach sometime and would often if I lived there or visited more often. I think someone has started without me.

We'll be back in April, and November, and April, and November, and April, and.........

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

I think that pretty much sums it all up. Thanks!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Forgot to add we had an appetizer and cocktails at Spice at Cap Julucs...they brought us out an amuse bouche of duck confit thingy that was amazing. The fried calamari app was very good and fresh raspberry margarita was awesome

new jersey
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Wow! You sound like a pro and really experienced the best of the best (on both ends of the price spectrum). And thank you for including the dishes you had at each of the restaurants. Also, where did you try the Sea Moss drink???

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Sea moss drinks are for sale on Saturdays on the side of the road in between sandy ground turn-around and Gerauds. There's usually several locals with a cooler selling bottles of the stuff for $5 us. The rumor is its great for male "stamina".

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Sounds like an amazing time--and your accommodation rates are out of this world!

I think Sea Moss on Anguilla is very different from what I had in Grenada if it tastes like eggnog, but the touted side effects are the same! ;)

I don't know the chicken leg guy but I will have to look for him in the future--unless he's only there in high season? I'm only ever on the island in low season. When you say turnaround, is it the same as what I mean by roundabout? Or a traffic circle?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Tim A, you always manage to pack it in, good for you!

Thanks for a buzz by of your trip, you wore me out just reading it.

Glad you had a blast!

Ellen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Wow you had a busy time.

I am intrigued by the sea moss drink. I must try that. This summer I got to taste sour sop for the first time after visiting Anguilla for over 20 years and hearing about it.

You went to so many of our favourite place I really enjoyed reading you trip report . Thanks

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Great report, thanks for taking the time to post.

I am intrigued about the Sea Moss drink as well, must try to find somewhere I can have a taste .

We love Japanese, so want to try out Tokyo Bay, it sounds really great.

Soon there ... :)

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

The ocean, tribal drumming, stars and moon - your night at Gwen's sounds so cool!

You had a great trip - thanks for posting!

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Nov 11-20

Thank you all for reading my trip report. We love Anguilla and will return year after year.

Yes the chicken leg man is near the roundabout of Sandy Ground I believe all year round. There's a write up of it on Anguilla Beaches by either Nori or Kristen. He's usually there at 10:30 but sometimes sells out by noon. He sometimes has Johnny cakes but no other sides so plan accordingly. His hot sauce is great too...different than Nat's...thicker and nice to paste on liberally.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 00:57