We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Question

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Question

Good Day,

In May, my mom and I will be on a South Caribbean Cruise. So on May 25 (SUNDAY), will be in St. Maarten. We're thinking of boarding the ferry and heading over to Anguilla but we got a few questions

1- The Cruise Port - how far is it from the Ferry station.. I'm guessing the Ferry station in St. Maartan is called Marigot???

2- It's a 20 minute ferry ride... but how often does it depart? I checked the site and no schedule is available. Also this is Sunday too so I'm assuming less travel... help?

3- What is the price? It's confusing because they list a price, then there is tax and it's only one way... how does this work and is there a max boat capacity.

THanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Question

1- The Cruise Port - how far is it from the Ferry station.. I'm guessing the Ferry station in St. Maartan is called Marigot???

1/2 hour to 45 minutes by cab - 20 dollars for the cab ride

2- It's a 20 minute ferry ride... but how often does it depart? I checked the site and no schedule is available. Also this is Sunday too so I'm assuming less travel... help?

Ferry's depart every half hour or so, - island time.

3- What is the price? It's confusing because they list a price, then there is tax and it's only one way... how does this work and is there a max boat capacity.

It is 20.00 per person each way, they run 8am to 6pm, there are several that go back and forth, take your passport, go to the window and put your name on the manifest, pay cash.

Once you get to Anguilla, you can hire a taxi for a tour, or get dropped off at one of the beaches and have them pick you up at an assigned time, or you could rent a car - driving is on the left.

Good luck,

Ellen

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Question

Heya,

Thanks for the quick reply - I'm confused but what do you mean by manifest? Like when we are coming back or something (because that will be an approximate)... not sure how this is supposed to work?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Question

Manifest is the registration to get on the boat; you sign up when you arrive at the terminal.

Just leave yourself enough time on the return.

Ellen

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Question

Sounds like I have to guess-timate what time I'll be arriving back is that how it works? What if you're a little of, do they not allow you to board.

Also is there a max number of people that can board the ferry. Given my specific day is Sunday - does the ferry still depart every 30 minutes or so or is there a schedule online. I did try calling the ferry service at their 1800 number - get this weird message about full connection oO

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Question

Seems as if it is every 45 minutes for the departure.

You sign up when you get to the dock, going and coming

Here's a good article detailing the ferry experience:

anguillaguide.com/article/…

Ellen

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Question

Process sounds painful - how long are the immigration/customs lines... approximately how long does it take to pass those? I cross everyday from Canada to US, then US to Canada and that takes a good 30-45 minutes... considering I have a cruise to catch - I need to adjust my time now

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Question

Lines depend on how many are on the ferry and how many boats arrive at the same time - you have public ferries and private shuttles, all arriving at the same place, usually around 20 minutes to get through at Blowing Point, Anguilla terminal, don't know about St Maarten, I have not been on a public ferry in years.

You should check with your cruise line and see if they offer a day trip to Anguilla.

Good Luck,

Ellen

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Question

Clearing customs at Marigot only takes a couple of minutes at most - much more efficient/less bureaucratic than Anguilla !

albany, ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Question

I traveled to Anguilla last year at the end of May 2013. We landed in St. Maarten at airport and took a cab to Marigot to catch the ferry (about 30 min cab ride and I think like $25) was very easy to take the ferry, and when we got to Anguilla also very easy only a few minutes to process through customs (May is not the high time on island, less visitors) make sure you have your passport. I believe when you leave the island there is a $20 departure fee on top of ferry fee...but we'll worth it! I definitely recommend renting a car as I think it's $40 for entire day and will be way cheaper than hiring taxis. The island is very easy to drive even with being on the left; especially in May and fir a Sunday...you will still be seated on left as the driver which not sll that different. if you familiarize yourself prior to going with a map and areas you want to go to you will have no problems. I did the same and was able to find my way without any issues. There are so many great beach bars on Anguilla...Dune Preserve is great...especially on Sundays, live music. Sandy Ground also a lot of fun Roy's, Johnno's, Elvis'. beautiful beaches...Meads Bay, Rondevous Bay, Shoal Bay to name a few. I'd highly recommend a day trip to Anguilla especially coming off of a cruise ship. getting away from the crowds into a peaceful, calm setting that is so amazingly beautiful! dangerous though...cause you won't want to leave!!!

albany, ny
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Question

I traveled to Anguilla last year at the end of May 2013. We landed in St. Maarten at airport and took a cab to Marigot to catch the ferry (about 30 min cab ride and I think like $25) was very easy to take the ferry, and when we got to Anguilla also very easy only a few minutes to process through customs (May is not the high time on island, less visitors) make sure you have your passport. I believe when you leave the island there is a $20 departure fee on top of ferry fee...but we'll worth it! I definitely recommend renting a car as I think it's $40 for entire day and will be way cheaper than hiring taxis. The island is very easy to drive even with being on the left; especially in May and fir a Sunday...you will still be seated on left as the driver which not sll that different. if you familiarize yourself prior to going with a map and areas you want to go to you will have no problems. I did the same and was able to find my way without any issues. There are so many great beach bars on Anguilla...Dune Preserve is great...especially on Sundays, live music. Sandy Ground also a lot of fun Roy's, Johnno's, Elvis'. beautiful beaches...Meads Bay, Rondevous Bay, Shoal Bay to name a few. I'd highly recommend a day trip to Anguilla especially coming off of a cruise ship. getting away from the crowds into a peaceful, calm setting that is so amazingly beautiful! dangerous though...cause you won't want to leave!!!