We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Favorite Things

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
My Favorite Things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things and here's a few more:

GB Express

In November, we flew in and took them back to SXM on the return. The swells were huge. Captain Lyle assured us he would keep us safe and comfortable, and he did not exaggerate. He handled that wheel with precision and care, stroking it lovingly to perform under duress, a true professional, always my number one boat.

www.anguillaferryandcharter.com/home.html

Ronnie Bryan

This guy goes out of his way to make sure you are happy, if you are not happy, he is not happy. I once called him about a flat tire and he apologized profusely for this happening and was there in 20 minutes to change it. If you need a car, and don’t have a favorite, please consider Ronnie, he will not disappoint

http://www.bryanscarrentals.com/index.html

Jacala

This was our send off meal and it did not disappoint, Jacques and Alain are such great hosts, the calamari risotto is still my number one meal, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Calamari is usually rubbery and tasteless, but not at Jacala, it is succulent, sweet and tender.

Read a good review with pictures here on Nori’s page - www.anguilla-beaches.com

anguilla-beaches.com/jacala-anguilla-dining.…

Geraud’s

I am a pastry addict, and Geraud’s pastries rank right up there with the top patisseries. Light, flakey and loaded with toppings, they are a “do not miss” for me. In addition to cookies, muffins and bread, I got cheese and lemon pastries – my favorites, chicken and meat turnovers, quiche and sausage rolls, they were all good and we enjoyed them on the porch for our sunset appetizers. They keep very well in the fridge and a light heating in the micro is all they need. Really wonderful.

http://www.anguillacakesandcatering.com/

Pumphouse

Pumphouse has really stepped it up this year, they have hired Chef Ben from Big Spring and they have specials along with entertainment each night. Good food, reasonable prices, fun staff, a winner from start to finish!

http://www.pumphouse-anguilla.com/

Dolce Vita/AXA Seafood

We have been following Abbi around the island and believe he is one of the most caring owners we have met. He and chef Christopher and their team have an innovative menu at fair prices in a beach front setting. Casual dining at its finest, they do not disappoint. Like them on Facebook

Review from Nori:

anguilla-beaches.com/anguilla-restaurants-re…

This trip, we also had the pleasure of partaking of AXA Seafood House, their newest creation in the old Luna Rosa location. It did not disappoint, fabulous food, service and setting with Sylvestro at the helm, wish them well!

Here is another great review from Nori at Anguilla Beaches, I have been following her for years, her site is a wealth of information, - www.anguilla-beaches.com - sign up for her newsletter.

anguilla-beaches.com/axa-seafood-house.html

Straw Hat

One of our favorites, we never miss. Straw Hat, is a friendly place, with good food at good prices. They have a fun staff and the location is great. Peter Parles runs a good house and always has time to say hi, I admire that about him. Chef Nick's creations are innovative and fresh.

Don’t change a thing, love you just the way you are.

http://www.strawhat.com/

Mangos

We had a 7pm dinner reservation for our arrival night, but our flight was delayed and we did not make it. An island friend called for me and let them know we would not make our reservation and I called when we got to our place and they were so gracious, and caring. We ordered take out, which they carried over to Caribella, with a smile…at 9pm in the dark…when they were getting ready to close. Talk about service!! Consistently good food, great location, wonderful staff, we never miss. Can’t say enough good about this place. Love their conch chowder, crab cakes, Caesars salad and the fish is always fresh.

www.mangosseasidegrill.com/amenities.html

Trattoria Tramento.

Everything is always perfect from start to finish, wonderful music and oh the food, we love to spend time with Gladys and Chantelle, but have missed Alan on our past few trips, we will have to go to lunch so we can see his smiling face.

http://trattoriatramonto.com/

Ocean Echo

We were there twice for lunch, what a great setting, terrific staff, good menu and wonderful views. Beautiful loungers and umbrellas. We were very impressed. Nori has a good write up here - with an opening review and a second visit.

anguilla-beaches.com/anguilla-restaurants-oc…

Flavours

This is now on my "do not miss" list, start to finish they do it right, the Johnny cake appetizer is fabulous, and I love the Pepperpot! They have a wonderful staff, with a great view and a menu that is so good, I have a hard time choosing. This was our second visit, and everything was fantastic. Thursday is "Jazz in the Garden" night and they have terrific singers down in the garden serenading the patrons above, very nice.

Here is another terrific review from Nori -

anguilla-beaches.com/flavours-anguilla-resta…

On da Rocks

It’s a long way from the West End to Island Harbor, in the dark, with those beams in my eyes, but each trip we make our way out there for their terrific $5.00 crayfish and $5.00 sides - we love their French fries, thin and crispy. The crayfish special is available on Sat and Sunday only, big portions, friendly staff, great views.

Bands:

We do not go to see bands at home, but when we are in Anguilla, we can’t get enough, there is such a wealth of talent.

Sprocka

The “Santana” of Anguilla, whether playing with a group or solo, we love to watch him play. Sprocka is currently playing at Johnno’s on Sunday afternoon, Pumphouse on Sunday night, AXA Seafood on Tuesday and Straw Hat on Wed. Just a joy to be around.

http://sprocka.com/

Omari Banks and his band Eleven, our favorite is DaVida on Sunday afternoon, because we love their lunches and the acoustics are good, but he also plays at Smokeys, Veya and the Dune with his father Bankie Banx - check his website for venues:

http://www.omaribanks.com/

And do go and see Bankie if you get the chance. Fridays is a $20.00 per person cover charge and well worth it.

http://olaidebanks.wix.com/dunepreserve

Boss and the Horsepower Band

What an entertainer, he never fails to leave me with a smile, he does Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Marvin Gaye and many more, he is really good, knows how to work the crowd and get everyone feeling good. Monday and Friday nights at Spice at Cap Juluca 9pm -?

British Dependency

We love to watch them play - such talent. We went to their album release party at the Pumphouse and had a blast. They too play around at different venues, Smokey’s, Veya, On Da Rocks, Pumphouse. Catch them if you can, inspired music.

http://onepagelink.com/BritishDependency/

Have been home 3 weeks and I am missing it already, we can hardly wait to get there and never want to leave.

Happy holidays to all, may your days be merry and bright.

Ellen

NJ
Level Contributor
235 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Favorite Things

Thanks Ellen for your detailed info. I can never get enough info. Merry Christmas to all!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Favorite Things

I love the format of this post and am especially intrigued by Thursday night jazz at Flavours. Do you know if they continue this throughout the low season also (late June/early July specifically?) We have never been to Flavours but that sounds like a perfect evening. Thanks for the details in this post!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Favorite Things

Loved reading this - it brought back so many memories and made me think about my favourite things on Anguilla.

Thanks Ellen.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Favorite Things

Thank you all, beachfan, I will see if I can find out about Jazz in the Garden.

Take a look at this post from Savannah Gallery, I may have a new favorite, wow, does that look good!

http://savannahgallery.com/

Edited: 26 December 2013, 21:34
Iowa
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Favorite Things

Hi Ellen,

I will try to keep you posted in January. This year my New Year's resolution is to "unplug". So, if my reports are far and few between it is because I am enjoying island time instead of computer time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my dear friend. LL

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Favorite Things

"Aasby" - that sounds wonderful, enjoy your stay, it goes way too fast.

Beachfan101, Flavours said "Jazz in the Garden" is all year 'round. It is a very nice setting, the entertainers are down in the garden and there is lawn seating, with a bar down there, and then upstairs is the open air dining room where you have the beautiful views of Road Harbor and Sandy Ground and also you can see and hear the performers.

Ellen

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Favorite Things

Thank you Ellen, it is now solidly on my list! I would never have known about it without your "Favorite Things."

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Favorite Things

Such a delectable post -- I think I gained 10 pounds just reading it.

You spurred me to memories.

Can I play your game too?

'Twas the day before leaving, our luggage all packed, while visions of Paradise entered the act.

The waters at Maundays that sparkle like gems, and hugs from Sheriva where happiness stems.

To Straw Hat, to Blanchards -- our favorite lunches, then Mangos for dinner and killer rum punches.

To Abbi's for pasta that's true Dolce Vita, and seafood at AXA -- Silvestro will greet ya.

Let's not forget Veya and Jacala too -- and limin' on beach chairs with nothing to do.

To Irie Life, Petals, Zazaa and Sea Spray, for goodies and what-nots and gifts of the day.

Too soon comes Geraud's with our snacks for the plane, and it's over till next time -- we'll do it again.

We leave with some sadness -- a teardrop or two, our tranquility island all wrapped up in blue.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Favorite Things

Pepper that was amazing!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts