We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deposit for restaurant reservation?

Newjersey
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Deposit for restaurant reservation?

Why do restaurants (veya,dolce vita) require signed credit card contract for dinner reservation? Dolce vita wants $50 deposit per diner to hold reservation for 3 months away. This makes me uneasy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

How many in your party?

Ellen

Port St Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

Unfortunately many restaurant owners are experiencing a high numbers of No Shows, some told me over 30 people per night in the High season. This of course results in empty tables and lost revenue, but staff still has to be paid.

To safeguard against this, many owners now ask for credit card numbers and deposits. Of course, if cancellation is within the terms and conditions of ''contract', deposit will be refunded.

This is a common practice at many restaurants in London, and maybe also New York?

Edited: 17 January 2014, 15:03
New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

Yes, O.T. this is not uncommon in New York. I have heard the no shows, during the Christmas season can

really hurt, and its so unfair for the owners and others who could not go on a certain night.

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

The policy seems unreasonable until you consider how many no shows a restaurant may have. I'm sure the restaurants bank on (no pun intended) the restaurant being full in high season:-) Are reservations necessary in April?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

I am still puzzled as I always make reservations 3 months in advance and never ever have been asked by anyone to make an advanced deposit.

I wonder if there are more than 4 in your party or if it is a holiday like Valentine's Day or Christmas week or something like that.

Anyway, if it is true because you are new and they do not know you, I'd be comfortable with the fact that they will not abuse the privilege of just keeping your card number to be sure you show. (and look at it this way -- you'll practically be paid up -- kind of like a free dinner!!) LOLOL

Ware, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

I have not been in London for almost a year, but was never asked for a deposit for two people. We always go to AXA in March when the season is still quite bust and have never been asked for a deposit , and rarely see table sitting empty for very long. I don't think that I would want to go through the hassle of a he said she said argument over a cancelled reservation. We are always courteous and only book when we intend to use the reservation and never just don't show. Others? If anyone asks us for a deposit we'll go elsewhere if there are just two. More and we would discuss it.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,103 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

I think the OP is 12 people....

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

Yes! If OP is in fact multiple people or personalities they should ask for a thousand dollar deposit!

Lmao

9. Re: Deposit for restaurant reservation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:20