We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip report January 2014 part 1

Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First trip report January 2014 part 1

The night before our trip I needed to finish up work and went all night , so with no sleep at all we arrive at JFK airport ready for our trip. Flight was on schedule to SXM in fact we arrived 30 minutes early which was a first for us, so we are very excited! I arranged for a private shuttle with funtime to take us straight to Anguilla. They rushed us through immigration on SXM and on to our shuttle and within minutes with just our carry ons in hand we are looking at St. Martin mountain range getting smaller and smaller and Anguilla's flat lands approaching quicker and quicker , and within 20 minutes with calm sea we arrive at blowing point to enter the island. Wow , what a quick trip! This was the first time everything just feel in place and within minutes are in a cab and arriving at Carimar . Checking was a breeze and with our room ready both my wife and I are getting changed for the beach. It's now 1:45 pm and are on beautiful Meads Bay. We both run into the water and a quick swim later are enjoying a nice nap on the beach and absorbing those rays. After a well needed nap we decided to explore and walked Meads Bay all the way down to the Viceroy. The closer we got to the Viceroy the stronger the wind was blowing, it felt like we were sand blasted down there and quickly turned around and walked back to our chairs. The beach was calmer on our end and stay out to swim some more and watched the sunset. What a beautiful place to be. I can understand why everyone here is in love with this place! We are so out of it that we just crabbed a quick bite from the beach shack of burger, fries, and tacos. The burger and fries were good but we didn't like the tacos. The fish tacos were a little to fishy but being so hungry I just down them and found ourselves falling asleep on the couch by 9 pm . It was our first night , so we took it easy.

Our first full day on the island we woke up early before the sun was even up and watched the birds playing on our balcony . After making a nice breakfast with the groceries we order through the Carimar we head to the beach. The waters are still calm so our morning swim was great and now are ready to get a little color to make all our friends back home jealous. We normally take a break from the sun around noon to 2 and decided to take a walk to Best Buy. It was a nice easy walk a little over a mile. Best buy had a little of everything so we bought a bottle of wine some cheese and ice cream and speed walked back to get the ice cream in the freezer. We didn't rent a car because we were only on the island for 5 nights but next time we are doing so . We went back to the room relaxed for a few and back to the beach. We crabbed some snorkel gear from the hotel and headed to the reef by Malli which was a great idea because we spend the rest of the day under the cliff swimming , snorkeling and relaxing on our own private beach, at least that what it felt like! We saw a few angel fish a small parrot fish and a bunch of other fish that I have no clue what they were. I had brought out some bread with us and baited the area so we got to see more then a few. After being there for a few hours a couple of boats came by to snorkel too , so we decided to go grab a late lunch at the shack again and this time just burgers and fries. Time just seem to fly and it was time again for the wonderful sunset so after reading on the forum that the best place to see the sunset was from the Malli restaurant we headed to the reef below the closed hotel and had the area all to ourselves watch that beautiful sunset from there was amazing! After the sunset we went back to our room for a little rest before going to Straw Hat for dinner. We had a nice rest got dressed and went to Straw Hat for our first dinner on the island. We had the spring rolls, white bean salad the curry goat pot pie which I loved and the fish, plus a nice bottle of wine. The service was just ok by most of the staff but Lester was on the money. The food was good and once the bill came I noticed a mistake on the check. They have a system where the wine is by number and it was off by one. This mistake was in my favor by more then $75 and when I called over the girl to explain to her the problem she almost didn't want to hear it but once I explain to her it's in her best interest she quickly ran to change the bill. This happened to our son who is a serve and the customer didn't say anything and walked out and he ended up paying the difference out of his own pocket. They seem surprise that we even said anything but I guess this happens more than you think and people only bring it to the attention of the staff only when it's the other way around, sad! After a good meal we walked back to the Carimar using our flashlight because as many of you know those roads are dark!! The great thing about dark roads are the awesome view of the stars which shinny bright, wow we were slowly falling in love with this place!! We started talking about our trip in the end of May beginning of June . We were going to split time btw Viceroy and CJ and guess what we aren't going to do that anymore! We are going to look at TN because they have AC throughout the whole apt.we love the Carimar but I don't think I'll be able to deal with the heat in the summer without AC!! We are back in our room everything going so well with great weather , no bugs at night , great breeze , we can't believe how great everything and everyone are!

I need to stop here and take care of a few things , so I will write the rest of our trip report in a few. I still have Jacala , Pumphouse , Ken's BBQ , folk dancer , the beach to Mandays bay to write about and all the great people we met along the way. This was just a tease the best is yet to come.

NJ
Level Contributor
481 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Lovely report so far...keep 'em coming! We stay at Turtles Nest for that very reason. Love the a/c throughout.

Were the birds on your balcony bananaquits? They are very small, black and yellow, and chirp in a really high pitch. Love those birds! They'll eat out of your hand once they get comfortable.

Keep on enjoying, and keep on posting!!!

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Hi Jake,

I'm so glad you had a good time, and can't wait to hear more.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Sounds like you had a great time! Cant wait to read part 2. Hope you post pictures too!!!!!!

Cant wait until our first trip in june!!!

djb

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:55
Sfakia, Greece
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

So that's what those birds were called. They were so cute!! We didn't get to feed them out of our hands but still real nice! There were a couple of bigger birds that were bulling every bird that came to our balcony but we made sure everyone of them had a chance to eat. Give me a day or so and I'll write the rest. We loved everything and everyone on the island!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Loved reading this and being transported back to the island! Looking forward to your next installment... With such an idyllic first couple days, sounds like you had an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing so we all get a glimpse too. I didn't make it to Meads except to eat, but it sounds like it was perfect!

new jersey
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Meads Bay is a wonderful place to stay--Carimar and Turtle's Nest are both great! And it is so nice to hear that someone from Greece, with water as beautiful as you have there, loved the beaches of Anguilla. Those private beaches at Malliouhana are very special---great snorkeling and wonderful sunsets. And you experienced them both.

It is a great idea to rent a car next time you are here...just wait til you see the rest of the island.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Yasu Jake:

My but you've whetted my appetite for more tales of the island.

I especially want to hear about my favorite beach, Maunday's Bay. It is usually tranquil this time of yearand less windy. I can't wait to hear if that is still so.

Keep limin'!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Great descriptive writing - no need for photos!

Glad to hear you are already planning your next trip. Beware that's a habit we've been unable to break for 25 years!!

Looking forward to following the rest of your stay

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Thanks Jake!!!

This is an awesome "tease" of a report! I'm thirsting for more!

Dragon and I are fellow Carimar lovers. The a/c we really only need in the bedrooms, but we go in the winter so the summer may be different.

You'll be back on island I'm sure: we're heading there soon for our 7th trip!!! Iluvdanny we're nowhere near your 25, but I'm sure we will be someday!!! Anguilla has its own, unique, gravitational force.

Keep 'em comin' Jake! Can't wait for installment #2!

Uni

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip report January 2014 part 1

Hi Jake,

Sounds like you and your wife had an amazing time! We were on the island a few weeks ago and the weather wasn't as nice for us , but I'm glad you guys had a great time! Like iluvdanny said it does become a habit. We are planning a trip around the same time in May as you guys. We were going to only hit St. Barts but I need the peace and quite Anguilla has too offers , my year is already becoming so stressful that my doctor (wife) said "we must go

to Anguilla" instead of st. Barts! Lol