We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

I plan to spend a day on Shoal Bay, however it has been extremely on Meads. Does that mean Shoal Bay will be the same?

Mentioned in this post
Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay
971 Reviews
Anguilla
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

AXA,

I'm pretty sure the answer is a big 10-4 that a windy Meads Bay = a windy Shoal Bay East.

Most of the time the beaches on the south side will be calmer when Meads, Barns, and Shoal Bay get fiesty.

Mentioned in this post
Meads Bay
Meads Bay
330 Reviews
Anguilla
Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay
971 Reviews
Anguilla
SE MA
Level Contributor
245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

Go up to Nat's Palm Grove on Savannah Bay. It is always calm in front of Nats but you will have a long stretch of beach to walk if thats what you want. I think he is now renting umbrellas but not entirely sure. Anyone else know? I DO know the food is fabulous there.

Ma
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

It's not the wind that creates the large ground swells on Anguilla. The swells that occur on Meads and Shoal Bay are caused by large ocean storms in the North Atlantic. A few days after a major storm in the Mid-atlantic or New England, the waves will propagate down to Anguilla. If Meads has waves, so will SBE. The beaches facing St Martin should be much calmer than the North side.

The trade winds on Anguilla are pretty consistently from the East and is usually around 20 mph. Tropical storms and hurricanes will generate wind driven waves, but these storms are few and far between.

jj

Mentioned in this post
Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay
971 Reviews
Anguilla
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

Does anyone know if the ground swells and rough surf evened out the dropoff at the Carimar end of Meads?

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

If Meads is windy, it should be calm at Sandy Ground which is on the same side of the island. I'd try Upper Shoal Bay though if SBE is windy. If you go all the way to the end of USB where Serenity is, due to that bit of elevation it should significantly lessen the wind issue. There's also go snorkeling around that cliffside that ends USB.

Not to mention the fact that Serenity has a beachside bar where you can have a cool drink of something stronger. It's also a great place to have lunch. For some reason, people seem to forget they have a restaurant there which does really good food and has a great dining room open on the sides so you can dine and watch the ocean and sky without getting wet if it rains.

Enjoy! ;~>

Mentioned in this post
Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay
971 Reviews
Anguilla
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

Mstvl,

There was some real big wave action on Meads Bay last week. Sitting at Blanchards Beach Shack it looked like the big rocks down by Maliouhana were getting the heck knocked out of them. I didn't walk down that way. My guess is that kind of wave action would've made the beach even steeper at Carimar. Anyone know how that works?

TK

Mentioned in this post
Meads Bay
Meads Bay
330 Reviews
Anguilla
Blanchards Beach Shack
Blanchards Beach Shack
1,491 Reviews
Anguilla
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
537 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

Nat does have umbrellas, great food, and genuine hospitality . Go see him!

Kennebunkport, Maine
Level Contributor
176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

We stay on Meads Bay. Two years ago it was very windy there and at Rendezvous Bays as well as Shoal Bay. So we decided to try daVida's Bayside Grill on Crocus Bay for the first time where it was perfectly calm. Turned into a great afternoon!

Mentioned in this post
Meads Bay
Meads Bay
330 Reviews
Anguilla
Shoal Bay
Shoal Bay
971 Reviews
Anguilla
9. Re: Does Windy Meads Bay = Windy Shoal Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:17