We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

Ok so i know some of you will think its silly to ask but never the less im a little worried about the Chikungunya stuff. Yes i know we have west nile at home but still im worried that it might be silly to plan a vacation that is right in the heart of it all (staying one night in saint martin). I mean it would probably make more sense to go else where on vacation that hasnt had a case yet. Also im worried that even tho anguilla is pretty good now, we dont go til mid june. Do you think cases will really get worse since april and may are probably rainy?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

I do not think it is a bad question at all, I think you are one of the smart ones. The virus is real, just because you do not "see" mosquito's, does not mean you will not be bit. With that said, be diligent, always wear protection, when you leave your home state, apply repellant, and before you land. Put it on through out the day, and you should be fine. Awareness is the key!

Ware, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

This has been raised here many. many times. Is it possible to look back a bit before questions are asked again? How many people have been on St martin since the virus was first reported? How many have contracted the disease. How many people were hurt in car accidents during the same time frame. How many refuse to drive because someone was hurt in an accident? Answer all these then assess your risk.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

April 1 article from the NY Times

nytimes.com/2014/…

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
315 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

We just returned from Anguilla and didn't encounter one mosquito. We did use Deep Woods Off every evening when we went out. And we were careful to keep the screen door closed at all times. It only briefly rained twice.

new jersey
Level Contributor
412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

We live here and have been running and biking on the streets, eating outside every evening and working in the garden. I have gotten about four mosquito bites in the last three months, my friends have also gotten a few. I have not heard of any cases of the virus since news of the virus was first published months ago.

6. Re: Dont hate me for asking but Chikungunya virus question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla