We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

Boston...
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

Just completed our 4th trip to Anguilla, this one for 10 wonderful days (still way too short!).The highlights:

Transportation: Jet Blue via BOS-San Juan-SXM going down, SXM-JFK-BOS coming back were all on schedule and uneventful. Took public ferry from Marigot-Blowing Point and back which suits us fine. With the new bridge in St. Martin, the cab rides to/from were much quicker. Arrived in Blowing Point at 4:00 PM on Friday the 2nd and picked up Ronnie Bryan car in his new parking lot and were checking in to Frangipani with a rum punch by 4:30.

Accomodations. This was our third consecutive year at Frangipani, and we love the place. I'll do a seperate review, but suffice it to say that it feels like home to us. Scott & Shannon, the gm's treat us like family, and we would be hard pressed to stay elsewhere, even though there are less expensive options,. We stay in a luxury no-view room (6C on the second floor) which has a nice balcony. It overlooks the parking lot, but there is enough foliage to create a sense of privacy. A walk around the corner gives you a beach view, and it is usually dark at night when we are in the comfortably appointed room anyway.

Beaches: We love Meads Bay and Frangi is in a perfect location right in the middle. Some wave activity early in our trip but ocean calmed down by day three, despite a couple of days of overcast skies and rain, but overall a great week. Spent one day on Shoal Bay east, a fantastic beach, but just not the amenities that are offered to Frangi guests. Spent a pleasant Sat afternoon ot Smokey's on Cove Bay, limin' to the Musical Brothers while swimming and enjoying lunch and some rum punches. Also visited Little Bay and Maundy's Bay on a Frangi beach hopping trip on their power boat, Relentless.For some reason, never got to spend any time on Rendevous Bay, despite best intentions. Not enough time, too many beaches.

Dinners: ate dinner at Straw Hat (twice), B&D BBQ, Picante, Ocean Echo, Veya, AXA Seafood House (new & great), Flavours,Dolce Vita and Mango's. Will do seperate reviews, but all have their own uniquie charm and the food was great.

Lunches: ate at Ocean Echo (twice, Blanchards Beach Shack, DaVida's Bayside (three times!), Smokey's, Tropical Sunset and The Place. Some better than others, but Ocean Echo and DaVida were our favs.

Activities: Gwen's on the first Sunday with Tap & the Scratch Band (always a good time) and DaVida's Bayside in the second Sunday w/ Omari Banks. Wish we could fit more Sundays into 10 days, but both places are awesome. Also, took Frangi beach and island hopping trip on Relentless, their power boat, which was a fun four hour tour of Sandy Island, Little Bay, Scilly Cay (it was Wed, so we stopped for a rum punch), Maundy's Bay, and cruised by Sandy Ground and Shoal Bay. Great to see some of the properties from the water that are not visible from the shore. Rashey & Ross (captain and first mate), were awesome and entertaining.

Overall, another great AXA vacation, and we are already thinking about our next trip. We have to find a way to stay awake past 10:00 PM and do a Pumphouse Thursday and Dune Preserve Friday. Always on our list but we just run out of gas! Each year we come back with beaches and restaurants that we have to try next time, but it is hard to break away from the old favorites.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
90 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

Wonderful TR...sounds like a great time! Question (perhaps a silly one)... Can you pay & take the Relentless trip as a non Fragi guest??

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

I've so enjoyed reading about your trip here and on the other forum. you make Frangipani sound like a wonderful place to stay, and you can't beat the location: on the beach, with access to Straw Hat all day long!

Andiamo101, based on what dvm posted in another forum, I contacted Frangipani to ask about non-guests on Relentless beach trips. Scott, the GM, emailed me back to say that as a rule, they do not, but they can make exceptions on a case by case basis. Low season would provide more opportunities than high season.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
90 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

Thank you so much!! Appreciate that info ! Sounds like a great outing!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,479 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

I really enjoyed your trip report. I think Frangi is such a great property, well kept and with Straw Hat there is has it all. That boat trip sounds like a lot of fun.

We too really liked Ocean Echo, they have such a great staff, and the nicest lounge chairs, such a pretty color.

We made it to the Dune twice on a Friday night - nearly killed us! :-) We do go to the Pumphouse quite often, they have a good lineup of music, except Monday which is Pub Trivia night.

Thanks for posting.

Ellen

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

I'm so glad to see someone giving Gwen's a great review! I've always had a wonderful time there, especially on Sundays. Lately newbies to the island have been less than complimentary. Opinions are so subjective...

You have me excited about going to AXA Seafood House as well. New restaurants are always fun to experience. Like you, I enjoy Scilly Cay for the "old talk" as we say in the Caribbean with Eudoxie and Sandra as much as the grilled lobster/crayfish and rum punch.

Thanks so much for sharing! It called up all the wonderful memories of my trips to AXA! ;~>

Boston...
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

Ellen:

May have force myself to talk long nap on a Friday afternoon to make it to Dune Preserve. Went in 2013, but a the late arrival of Omari's drummer and a power failure caused delays until after 11:00 (I think I saw you're there).

Lucianmermaid: on our first trip to AXA we stayed at Ku on Shoal Bay and could walk to Gwen's ( before the beach erosion). Fell in love with the place, and it is now a Sunday tradition. Have both Tap & the Scratch Band CD's and will often fire them up on Sundays at home!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

The Dune Preserve has always been in its own time zone (even taking island time into account)! An afternoon nap is a splendid idea!

Thanks for posting.

8. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - May 12, 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla