We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another island down....no Anguilla though

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
386 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Another island down....no Anguilla though

We promised ourselves we would not return to an island until we saw them all (well most of them). Just returned from Aruba and sadly spent most of trip thinking of Anguilla. Is this normal? Should I seek professional help? Anyone else feel the same way...

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Dalton...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

I was the same as you...I wanted to visit a different island each year. I went to Antigua, Turks & Caicos, Harbour Island, and Anguilla. My first visit to Anguilla was in 2001 and I've been back 15+ times. I have no desire to go anywhere else. And if you think you might need professional help, me and my friend, who is also hooked on Anguilla, are thinking about forming a support group....Post Anguilla Depression is a serious issue!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
SE MA
Level Contributor
245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

There is an expression I learned while living on Martha's Vineyard. "There is an Island that owns me". That has transferred to Anguilla since I have been going since '97. This years Summer Festival will make 20 trips. I will only be there one week, and then have booked 2 nights at Grand Case, St Martin. I have serious doubts that I will be able to tear myself away from Anguilla. i have only stayed one night on SXM because of cancelled flights and made a bee line first thing next day across to AXA. So I will let you know if I succeed in getting off AXA for SXM!

I am open to attending DIF-anon meetings here in MA.

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Grand Case
Grand Case
St Martin / St Maarten
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,788 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

We used to go to Mex and HI, then we cut out Mx and went to AXA, then we cut out HI. Now we only go to AXA, twice a year for two weeks, it is not enough. We can hardly wait to get there and never want to leave. I have other islands on my list, Anegada, Seychelles, Mauritius, but those are down the road, for us, it is Anguilla.

Ellen

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

We used to rotate our islands (Caribbean and HI), never doing the same 2 years in a row. Then, just T & C and AXA. This will make yr 3 for AXA. Friends have asked "again?". Absolutely! Funny how no one questions those who go "down the ocean" at home every year!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
MA
Level Contributor
240 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

After 2 trips and absolutely falling in love with Anguilla, we decided we owed it to ourselves to experience other islands so we spent a week in St. Lucia. The entire vacation all we did was compare it to Anguilla. We've vacationed on Anguilla ever sInce, with no regrets!

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Easthampton...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

I'm also in love with Anguilla, but I feel like my relationship with Anguilla gets better when I flirt with other islands. I feel that (1) Life is too short to only go back to Anguilla, and (2) Life is too short NOT to go back to Anguilla.

I get around this dilemma by spending the bulk of my vacation time in Anguilla for two weeks each summer and then trying out other islands for our shorter jaunts in October during my husband's Fall Break. We love it. We never would have discovered our love for Grenada or Virgin Gorda if we'd only ever visited Anguilla.

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

Wow ! Now Im very intrigued .. visiting Anguilla for the very first time in July .. very excited as the photos look amazing .. but even more so now after reading this thread ! I'll let you know what I think !! In the meantime any handy tips would be greatly appreciated :) Nicola

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

For us Anguilla is a habit we cannot break. After 22+ years it is where our hearts belong.

We visit other places - Dubai, The Balearic Islands, The Greek Islands etc and we love those holidays but we now cannot imagine not visiting Anguilla.

I have stopped comparing because I just remind myself "Anguilla is still there and we are going back" and I live in the moment of my other holidays.

We will be back in Anguilla in less than 3 weeks and that thought makes my heart sing but at the end of August we are going to Lefkada for 2 weeks and that will be a new adventure. I don't think I'm "cheating on Anguilla" by going to other places but it will always be my first love!!

Schmaltzy? Yep!!

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
95 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

After returning from our first trip to Anguilla - I have no desire to visit any other island in the Caribbean. We've been spoiled and traveled to Bora Bora, so our standards have pretty much been raised. I really doubted any other Caribbean island could compare to Bora Bora, until I researched them and all and decided on Anguilla. Anguilla is not Bora Bora, but ranks up there very, very, close, and it's far less expensive to travel to.

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Anguilla
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Another island down....no Anguilla though

Annnthonnnyyyy!!

Remember me?! Robin here from !as EsQuinas! I told you you'd be spellbound... and hooked on axa!!

I'm soooo glad I was right!

Just keep coming back cause it gets better with each trip!

Iluvdanny...Lefkada is wonderful! That is not cheating cause it's in another body of water!! Formentera is the closest to Anguilla in the Med though...been there?

Emily.. Grenada and VG are up there as well! I agree!

Anthony... Forget ABC... Don't waste time between Grenada and Dominica (try the latter perhaps for a more jungly island). Then there is Saba, Anegada, Vieques or St. John perhaps ... Dats it!

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Dominica
Dominica
Caribbean
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques