We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Verandah

Runcorn Cheshire
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
The Verandah

We were due to go to the Verandah 3 October 2007 but have been informed the the hotel won't be ready as they are waiting for the furniture to be delivered and have been moved to The St James. Such a shame as the hote looks as though it will be beautiful, but I am sure we will enjoy ourselves at the St James.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Verandah

Who informed you of that? Elite Island Resorts keeps saying it is opening September 15 definitely.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Verandah

Never mind. Elite's website now says it is opening October 19. I am scheduled to go early November but think I might opt to change it since they keep changing their dates of opening.

Indy
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: The Verandah

We have scheduled the Verandah in Octocer as well.

Who do I need to speak with to move to The St. James

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Verandah

Contact whoever you booked with.

FIFE scotland
Level Contributor
352 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Verandah

Virgin holidays have no knowledge of this new opening date( NO surprise there!) Frankly I am not surprised the Verandah has postponed its opening again.I await Contacting Virgin on Mon when they tell me what they are going to offer me as a substitute..no doubt it will be the St James!

I am a little worried about the reviews concerning the rooms being tatty and in need of refurbishment and may just take a full refund and rethink my holiday plans.

ASC
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Verandah

Betty66, we re-booked with bestattravel.com in the end because I discovered that they could offer me the same holiday at St James (same dates, flights, room, etc) for less than what Virgin were offering us as a substitute. Virgin were not prepared to price match in our case. As it was we have ended up booking Almond Morgan Bay in St Lucia with the aforementioned agent as it seemed closer to what we were expecting from The Verandah. This is not to say we won't try Antigua another time. We had no trouble in getting a full refund of our deposit from Virgin. Tip - try ringing Virgin's Customer Services number rather than their general number. This should get you through to somebody in the UK who knows what's going on. Good luck.

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Verandah

UUUGH. This resort is driving me crazy. We are booked with eliteislandresorts to arrive on October 19th. I am very fearful that either: the date will be pushed back again, or 2. mass chaos and disorganization on the first day of opening. I have emailed elite and will post what I get back. How many times does this make the opening to be pushed back?

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Verandah

I think it's the 3rd time since they became day and date specific. Prior to that it was month specific, twice ... and seasonal specific several times before that.

"skippy53's" comment regarding the furniture arrival is, perhaps, of some significance. It causes me to wonder whether the developer was, in any way, affected by the implementation of the new ABST (Antigua & Barbuda Sales Tax) that replaced the CST (Customs Service Tax) earlier this year? Perhaps not all aspects of the hotel sector imports were afforded special treatment for the first 2 years?

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Verandah

Hello all.

I got an email back from Nicole, at Elite Island Resorts. She is very nice and prompt! She says the delay is due to a Road being paved, and that was it. She said that the resort will be ready before the 19th, but they did not want the guests bothered by the dust. I am still going to talk to her tommorrow. The only other resort we would stay at is Galley Bay and thats another 2000 USD. No mention of furniture from her.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Verandah

For: " Denisetx" ......

IMO, the furniture issue may, and only MAY, "ring" more true than that of a road paving delay. The pavement of the short entrance to that resort off of the main road would little affect it's guests. If true, such surfacing should take 2 days (at most) or less. The road base has been in place for quite some time.

ONLY my personal opinion.