We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

You folks have been so wonderful and helpful. May I ask you what your five favorite beaches are, and why you like them. I will be there in two weeks and I'd love some inside information from the experts!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

My favorite beaches in no particular order.

Pidgeon Beach - good shade, good views of yachts passing into the harbour, very close to home.

Half moon bay - great sand, usually pretty deserted, calm snorkeling areas, great waves (although last visit I was completely totaled and lost a new pair of prescription sunglasses)

Runaway Bay by Sandhaven - great sand, beds for hire,local lady does lovely beach massage.

Rendevouz - totaly deserted, 1/2 hour hike to beach or access by boat. A great beach all for you.

Valley Church Beach - flat water, milky with sand. Just luxurious.

Hope this helps I am sure you will find your own favorite

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

Would have to be (but not in order)

Half Moon - Atlantic side well worth the trip espacially if combining with harmony Hall for Lunch

Galley Bay

Turners - Try Gibsons at the opposite end to Turners beach bar for great food

Darkwood

Ffreyes

(last 3 are all within about 3km of each other on the west cost near Jolly harbour/Beach.

Have a great trip

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

Johnson's Point at Gibsons

Galley Bay

Jabberwock to kite watch and sea bathe

Half Moon

Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

I see Galley Bay mentioned several times, can anyone elaborate on what they like about this beach?

We are looking to stay at GB for our honeymoon and from some of the pictures, the beach (or at least the sea) seems somewhat rocky in places, but there does seem to be one good clearning.

Would love to hear more info and more opinions.

Also, how far is Galley Bay from the Sandhaven at Runaway Bay? I've heard high reviews of that place so it could be an option to add to our "to do" list!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

Galley Bay is about 15 min. to Sandhaven. Galley Bay's beach is a long stretch. It has brown sugar sand, lovely views, nice breezes and depending on the weather and time of year can be calm or wavy.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

I really like Hawksbill 4th beach-----which sometime during the last few years the resort-people felt compelled to re-name "Eden Beach".

Yes it's a clothing-optional beach, but whether or not one is into that it is one of the most beautiful, long, pristine beaches remaining in Antigua that doesn't have a hotel sitting right on it! For people who prefer to avoid the nude sunbathers (and the beach has been pretty empty the last few weeks anyway), just stop by to take a walk late in the day and view the sunset.

I have heard that once Rex Resort's lease on the Hawksbill Resort expires in a year and a half, the family that owns this beach wishes to develop condos on it. So see it while you still can.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

Hi!

Darkwood beach - can dive in off the shore! Nice little reef to snorkel too!

Half Moon- Love the shape of it & the fine pinkish-white san. Great snorkeling too

Ffryes- not usually busy, good casual food right there!

Valley Church beach- By far my favourite. perfect and peaceful.. I think they've opened a little beach bar on it in the year since I've been there.

Have a great time!

8. Re: Antigua experts and lovers-What Are Your 5 Favorite Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 21:19