We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm Fraud

michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Atm Fraud

Had a GREAT trip to Antigua!!!! Stayed at the Verandah Resort and Spa, and LOVED it!!! We were there from March 25-April 1.

One day, we went to Nelson Dockyard and used the ATM machine at Bank of Antigua. We now have 3 unauthorized cash withdrawals from our checking account out of the Ukraine, totally over $500!

I did some internet searching, and found several people who claim to have been scammed at this particular ATM in Antigua......

So.... beware.

Apparently there could be a machine mounted to the ATM, and people can sit in their car and get the information, along with a little camera that records your pin..... What a scam, huh?

Won't let this ruin our great memories of a great country!!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm Fraud

Sorry to hear that! Were you able to get those withdrawals re-credited to your account?

michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm Fraud

The Credit Union is working on it as we speak!!!! Hopefully it will be resolved soon. In the meantime, I had to cancel the cards, and apply for new ones. What a hassle. So... my credit union will be out the money, while someone in the Ukraine is having a party on my money! UGH!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm Fraud

There has been a long series of posts about this on Antigua Newsgroup forum, a lot of people who have used the ATM seem to have been scammed, I am realy sorry this has happened to you.

When ever I try to use the ATM in the dockyard it is always out of order so I tend to go any line up in the bank, you do need a lot of time for this though.

It appears it is not only the ATM at the dockyard that this has happened at others seem to be implicated as well.

The Ukraine conection is odd isnt it, why Ukraine?

michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm Fraud

Yes, I can't quite figure out the Ukraine connection either. Maybe they sell the info. to someone in Ukraine - who knows? My mind doesn't think that way, so I can't even begin to figure it out.I'll check out that forum you mentioned. I did find a post from April 11 that the Bank of Antigua is onto this, and trying to stop it, etc. When we used the ATM at the dockyard, my husband noticed that a security guard went into the ATM as soon as he came out of it. He thought it was strange at the time, because he thought why would the guard be going into the ATM. Coincidence, or not?

We did love our vacation there though. The weather was awesome, the food was great, the beaches terrific, the people very friendly. The only negative was how long it took us to get there from Michigan!

Well.... if anyone else got scammed like me, post me a message here.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm Fraud

I withdrew cash from the Bank of Antigua ATM at the airport branch on 3rd April. On 11th, somebody drew cash out of my account, twice on the 12th and again on the 14th. The card is now cancelled.

I have an e-mail from a friend in Antigua saying that Bank of Antigua has cancelled all their customer cards and is trying to hush hush the whole thing.

I suspect an inside job.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm Fraud

For anyone interested this is the link to the discussion on Antigua Newsgroup about ATM fraud.

geographia.com/antiguanews/…

I guess this alters advice to give regarding bringing cash or cards to Antigua.

I am not on the island at present but will be back soon so will check in with local gossip as to whats going on.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm Fraud

will be staying at St James Club during early May. Having read the comments regarding ATM fraud on the island, can anyone confirm if Travellers Cheques are accepted at the St James Club?

If they are acceptable, what currency would you suggest for the cheques - Sterling, US dollars, EC dollars?

Any comments would be appreciated !!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm Fraud

Use the ATM machines inside the banks. I would not use any others.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm Fraud

I suggest you ask the St James Club directly if they accept TC's. Otherwise TC's are a real pain to cash and very few, if any, shops restaurants etc will even look at them. I always take cash, in sterling, and change it at the airport money change/bank, or stop at the Bank of Antigua at the exit of the airport. The only places we use plastic are the more upmarket restaurants. I think you can pay for some of your excursions with plastic.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atm Fraud

Another thing to keep in mind with Travellers Cheques is you pay a premium to acquire them and each individual vendor has the right to charge you a service fee up to $20 just to use them... Its best to take some local cash with you and use credit cards for the rest as you will just be charged your daily bank rate for the exchange.