We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua info needed for Novices

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua info needed for Novices

We're in Villa Search Hell at the moment -- so much to chose from. Until last night, we were all pretty sure we were going to St John, until we saw a spectacular-looking villa over looking Falmouth Harbour and now we're re-thinking.

So, I need some advice...

We are two families. We are bringing our 19 y-o daughter and our friends have a 15 y-o daughter and a 16 y-o son and his permanently attached X-Box. We've been to St John before and know what to expect and had our beach trips all well planned. This new development has thrown us for a loop. We don't know anything about Antigua but, man, that house looks great!

We usually like to get out and spend the day at the beach until mid-afternoon and then head back to the house, lounge by the pool and get the cocktails going. We usually stock up with groceries and cook for ourselves for the week with maybe 1-2 restaurant visits. We like to snorkel -- we're not divers -- swim and generally relax. How would that pattern fit with a home at Falmouth Harbour? Is the south side of the island well-off for beaches or would we need to travel? We'd be looking to get around the island anyway but it also looks a lot larger than St John. Would a lot of time be spent in the car each day? How is Falmouth Harbour for nightlife? We're not clubbers ourselves by my 19 year-old might be tearing her hair out after two weeks confinement to barracks each evening.

Finally, we'd be in Antigua for the end of July/beginning of August. How is the climate at that time of year?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua info needed for Novices

July/Aug is low season in Antigua, and this affects English Harbour and Falmouth areas particularly. During the season they are very buzzy with the sailing lot, full of restaurants/bars/nightlife. However come end of May the yachts depart the Caribbean and the majority of rest/bars etc. close for the season till Nov. The area becomes very quiet. As long as you are happy to rent a car (which you would need to do anyway if you are in a villa), and drive around, nothing is more than 45 minutes away, it is not a very large island. As far as the climate at that time of year, you are in the hurricane season (June - Nov) but historically they are later on in the season, and July/Aug are a great time to visit, with temps and humidity higher than in the winter. Also the water temperature is warmer.

Hope that is of help.

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua info needed for Novices

That's a lot of help, thanks. The point about many things being shut down is well made. I've been to other places off-season and they can be pretty well dead. Food for thought...

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua info needed for Novices

BigMacIain,

Antigua is my favorite island. So gorgeous with glorious beaches. We are total beach people and have been to Antigua many times via cruises and have also spent a week there. Here are some of my thoughts/suggestions:

Dickenson Bay - great place to relax, or go some watersports. Tony's is a good little beach bar/restaurant and vendors there all offer chairs/umbrellas. They have parasailing, hobicats, waverunners. Beach is gorgeous

Jolly Harbour - next to Jolly Beach - Jolly Beach charges you a daily fee to get in. Jolly Harbour is free. Rent chairs/umbrellas and you can walk down to Jolly Beach to visit the vendors. Beaches are next to each other so long spanse of gorgeous white sand beach to enjoy. Water is also calm here as in Dickenson.

Things to Do, Places to See - Wadadli Circumnavigation Cat Trip - takes you all around the island, snorkel, lunch, drinks. Great trip. About $100 pp but well worth it. We love their trips. They also offer 1/2 day snorkel trips.

Antigua Brewery and Devil's Bridge. Both are free to see and in the same general area of the island. YOu can easily do both in 1/2 day. The Brewery was great to see - very up close and personal tour vs what you would get in the states. Devil's Bridge is a natural bridge and really cool to see.

In St John's - there is an old church on the top of the hill that is pretty cool. We visit there often.

There is so much there and if you love the beach like we do, you have many, many options of different beaches to visit. Enjoy. If you have any other specific questions, send me a pm and I will try to answer them for you. Have fun.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua info needed for Novices

One thing I forgot to mention is that Carnival is on end July/early August, so that might keep your kids happy!

5. Re: Antigua info needed for Novices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 18:22
Get answers to your questions about Antigua