We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist shot dead on Antigua

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
91 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
tourist shot dead on Antigua

Apparently another tourist has been shot dead during an alleged attempted robbery near English Harbour on 22nd Jan 2009. Dosent seem to have gained much coverage.I know people will come on to say they live in New York etc and nowhere is safe these days, but ....come on ...three tourists killed on a small holiday island in the last six months. Many Antigua people,local and ex pat are great here. kind and helpful.The place is also very beautiful, but this cant be right!

Antigua Chiama Italia
Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

I should like to see a printout of the latest travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office included with all tickets just in case people are unaware that they need to take a little more care when visiting the Islands.

www.fco.gov.uk reissued an amendment to the Summary and Crime section on the 27th January. The overall level of advice has not changed but the summary states' there has been an overall increase in crime in Antigua in recent months..........including gun crime etc......... and you should ensure your living accommodation is secure'.

A little knowledge is surely a good thing and hopefully this will ensure that everybody has an enjoyable and safe holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

birdy 104,

Capital punishment is barbaric and is not a deterrent. Why do those states, in the USA, that have judicial murder (sorry, I meant capital punishment) have higher murder rates than those that don't?

Thank goodness that it has been abolished in the UK. There have been several hundred miscarriages of justice in Britain since the Second World War, many of them in murder cases. Once you've hanged someone, there's no way of bringing them back to life. Only last year, Barry George was aquitted of the murder of Jill Dando - a very high profile case - after spending 8 years in prison following his original conviction. If he had been hanged, he would now be a rotting corpse!

toronto
Level Contributor
247 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

A person who attacks a fmily with a 21 month old child and hoots the mother in the foot doesnt deserve the chance of being let out back in society.

antigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
44. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

if "X-tool" is convicted as charged then you won't be seeing him. don't worry about that, but i doubt he will be put to death.

Australia
1 post
Save Reply
45. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

I have just returned from a three day stay in Antigua. Frankly I did not feel comfortable and too welcome at all - the people did not seem too friendly towards a sole traveller - despite renting a car and touring much of the island. Yes most of the beaches are beautiful but nothing that would call me back to the country. The $20 departure tax was simply icing on the cake. I would spend my tourist dollar elsewhere, especially having learnt of the most recent murder.

London, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

Hi Bill

Sorry to hear you did not feel welcome in Antigua. Three days is not nearly long enough to get to know the locals who in fact are quite humble and rather shy. Once they overcome their shyness they are the warmest folk one could wish to meet. That is actually one of the reasons why we keep coming back year after year.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

Bill, all of the islands assess a departure tax. If you look at your ticket, the fees and taxes all countries/airports charge is ridiculous but a reality. 3 days is hardly enough time to access the heart beat of an island or country. I am sorry you experience was so negative.

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

Just out of interest who were the other two tourists that were murdered.

As my friends and I are really concerned as we are three woman who are going there in the next few weeks. Does this mean that we are confined to the hotel for the whole duration of our holiday, or just for the entire evenings.

antigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
49. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

there is no reason that you should be confined to your hotel at all at any time day or night.

canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: tourist shot dead on Antigua

My husband and I just returned from our first incredible seven day visit to Antigua. (not long enough) We left for Antigua right after the January 22, 2009 shooting. I will admit that I was feeling a little "nervous" when we left Canada. We stayed at Sandals (beautiful safe resort). They had security guards at the entrance of Sandals and along the very beautiful beach. (just breath taking)

We did two excursions one by taxi and the second by boat, I can honestly say that I felt " very safe" my entire time in Antigua. We found all the people we met to be very friendly and helpful. We are now looking forward to our next adventure to Beautiful Antigua in January 2010. Thank you