We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freshwater Fishing

Ubu
Barrie Ontario...
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Freshwater Fishing

How is the feshwater fishing on the island with all the lakes, are there any peacock bass or any type of bass at all?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freshwater Fishing

Hi Ubu, are you being sarcastic or are you mixing up our island with perhaps another?

:)

Ubu
Barrie Ontario...
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freshwater Fishing

No !!! I'm serious, according to the maps i've seen Antigua has a few lakes and where there is very warm water there is bass of different kinds.

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freshwater Fishing

I think you might be mistaking lagoons for lakes. For freshwater lakes, you need rivers, and there aren't any.

Cedar Valley...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Freshwater Fishing

Ubu-

There is no freshwater fishing, but if you can make the jump, c'mon over to the salty side and try saltwater fishing. There are some good offshore fish that will put up a healthy fight and then provide an excellent mean at the end of the day.

Adam

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freshwater Fishing

There is Potworks Dam, and if you check on a reasonably good map of Antigua I can see why you might think there are plenty of freshwater lakes. However most of those are only ponds, and full if there has been lots of rain, and generally Antigua is pretty dry. It is true there are no rivers or streams except just after heavy rains. I have never seen anyone fishing at Potworks, but I expect there are fish in it as it is a permanent source of water.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freshwater Fishing

I recall being taught in my childhood that the reason Christopher Columbus just briefly checked out Antigua, named her, and sailed onward was because Antigua had NO fresh water.

St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freshwater Fishing

Antigua has some freshwater fishing for smaller fish that the locals call "cally". There are also freshwater eels but I've been told you can only catch them with a net. I believe these cally are the same species as tiliapia. You can read more and view photos about cally: http://andyewilliams.com/blog/?p=558 and other shore fishing: http://andyewilliams.com/blog/?p=430 as on my blog.

Andy

8. Re: Freshwater Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about Antigua