We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

Its my first time going to Antigua and im having a pain deciding where to go??? its between Hawksbill and Jolly Beach!! which is closer to cities and many attractions? or has anyone been to both?? I love to relax on beaches alot and snorkel, is there on place that is closer to many other beautiful beaches or snorkeling spots too??

Thanks

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

If you want to be able to snorkel at your resort, then it would have to be Hawksbill, which is also a little nearer town, though JBR has Jolly Harbour, with the commercial centre and more places to eat and drink.

Hawksbill has four beaches (including the island's only clothing optional beach), JBR has only one - but it's long! The pool at Hawksbill is very small, JBR's is huge. Lots of families at JBR.

Does that help at all?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

I prefer intimate small places so would opt for Hawksbill if my only choice were the two.

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

ive been reading that Jolly Beach the water is very milky not that clear is that true or was it just a time of year or storm happened??

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

Well, milkier than some other places perhaps, but not horrifically so. But definitely no snorkeling (nothing to see). The beaches and water are far more interesting at Hawksbill, which does have some snorkeling.

I note you are also considering Verandah. The water there has become quite cloudy since the resort was built. There is no snorkeling near the hotel, but if you are a very strong swimmer you can try going out to the reef at the entrance to the bay where there are interesting fish to see if it isn't too rough. From Verandah there is good snorkeling at nearby Long Bay, though this beach becomes absolutely overrun with people when a cruise ship is in.

Note that Antigua is not really a great snorkeling destination. The coral is all dead---there are some interesting fish in a few places, but overall it's just not that great a destination for that activity.

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

Thank you!!

6. Re: Hawksbill Rex resort or Jolly Beach resort??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Antigua