We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galley Bay

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Topic
Galley Bay

I am reading mixed reviews for Galley Bay. Has anyone been there recently and would anyone recommend it for a week in January?

Herts.
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Galley Bay

We arrived back on Monday 14th Sept.

Great hotel, staff wonderful - everyone remembered our names - couldn't do enough to help us - food great - we were in a Premium suite which was wonderful - very large - the only problems I had was the distance to everything - I have walking problems and every time I needed to go to a restaurant, I had to ring for a buggy to pick me up - great service and lovely fellows doing the driving - the sea was a bit of a problem for me because there is a big step down because they placed concrete blocks under the sand (after a hurricane in 1985 to protect the beach from errosion) and now you have to negotiate over these blocks with a big step down into the sea and up out of the sea - with quite strong waves - there is no reef to protect the beach from the sea.

Great holiday, but for us not really suitable

Massachusetts
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galley Bay

Thank you - we still have not made our decision.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galley Bay

Hello, I see from your reviews that you have just visited Bermuda and if you like to let me know where you stayed on Bermuda I may be able to help a little, as we stay at Cambridge Beaches on Bermuda and we have also stayed at Galley Bay and I have to say the comparison is chalk and cheese.

If you like to look on my hotel reviews you will see a review that I posted on Galley, when we stayed in a Premium Beachfront Suite which gets nowhere near the Cambridge Suites at Cambridge Beaches.

Galley is more of a Beach Club Hotel, very nice, but in my opinion it is a four star hotel with certainly no fine dining and without the level of service that we expect on our vacations.

Please don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful two weeks at Galley, but if you are expecting fine dining and five star service you may well be disappointed.

I hope this helps a little as I feel it is important to be aware of as many facts as possible when spending a lot of money on a holiday. One tip that I always use is try to ascertain if the poster has been on their honeymoon as if that is the case, everything will be perfect and no faults found.

Perhaps you may like to look at Curtain Bluff or Hermitage Bay as an alternative, or you may feel that Galley is just what you are looking for and that you are armed with as much information as you need.

Good luck with your choice.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galley Bay

The mixed reviews tend to be based on what the guests' expectations are and where they are coming from. European tourists tend to be happier with Galley Bay because it meets their expectations with respect to service standards and room quality for the price. Americans tend to find the service to be laid back and the value for money to be lacking. Galley Bay however has good service in my opinion. Most of the negative reviews tend to be because the guest did not feel that their requests were met but enough information is provided on the net and through Tripadvisor for people to know what the resort offers and what they do not offer. Therefore it is very unfair to pay for water and expect champagne when you get there. The staff are not rude as some reviews state but they are not going to be pushed around in the same way as other cultures because of their history on the plantation. If you go there with an open mind and respect the staff then they will pamper you but if you are condescending towards them do not expect them to tolerate you. I guarantee you that you will enjoy your stay there but try to get the best price that you can!

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galley Bay

Hi,

we have been going to GB off and on for FORTY THREE years and annually for the last 10. I have to say I have never heard the story about the concrete blocks or seen any evidence of their existence. GB is a splendid and restfull way to relax completely for a couple of weeks. The grounds are fab the variety offered by the 3 restaurants and the food / service are better than good. You can pay half as much again at Hermitage,Carlisle Bay or Curtain Bluff but they are not THAT much better.

6. Re: Galley Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Antigua