We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for locals

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help for locals

We travel to the caribbean every year, when there we like to help a school, hospital or orphanage by bringing school supplies, cloths etc. Can anyone tell me of any places that is in need or perhaps a local family? I do this so our kids will learn to give back and enjoy what they have.

Many thanks

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for locals

I hear you on this, and think it's wonderful that you are teaching your children that everyone is not as lucky as they are.

First I must caution you that Antigua has come a long way in the last 25 years or so, and has grown economically so much during that time frame. I am not saying there are not pockets of poverty, and plenty of them, but there is a good deal of national pride in what has been accomplished. And many people are solidly middle-class. So you need to be careful----Antiguans have a lot of which to be proud, and you wouldn't want your generousity to be taken the wrong way.

For example, I would not bring clothing. Even in the poorest areas, you will notice the kids' school uniforms are always clean and ironed. Antiguans are proud people (and for good reason).

Second, I would ask, where are you staying? Because I believe your best bet is to do something local----the infrastructure for charitable-giving may already be in place; most likely through local churches but sometimes other ways. In Old Road Town, for example, the owner of Curtain Bluff Resort has been helping kids for decades through a unique program of his own design.

I think school supplies are welcome whereever one travels----heck, they are even welcome here at schools in the U.S.!!! Or do something just-for-fun. Since the 1940's, my family have packed little Xmas stockings for the kids in our local village (notwithstanding the fact we are Jewish). It's just something we do; a bit of small this-and-thats for the kids to show we appreciate living here, and a bit of stuff for the kids to have fun with at Xmas---small toys, candy, and such.

Obviously there are hospitals in Antigua; I am not sure about orphanages. The main hospital is in St. Johns and you could always contact them to see what they might like for their childrens' ward.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for locals

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Amazing Grace foundation as a place to give to if you have the opportunity. They have a 'shopping list' on their site, and do fine and very necessary work with some very needy children.

http://www.amazinggracefoundation.org/

3. Re: Help for locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 05:17