We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which resort is best

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
which resort is best

going in jan. which is better? grand pineapple or grand antigua? What is difference between the 2?

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which resort is best

I presume you mean Sandals Grande Antigua?

You cannot compare the 2 resorts. Although Sandals now own GPR and are supposedly turning it into a Beaches hotel, it is not that yet. So if you want glitzy type AI then go for Sandals, if you want more laid back old Caribbean style AI then go for Pineapple. The beach at Sandals is lovely but very busy, the beach at GPR is not so long, but also lovely sand and water and not so busy.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which resort is best

ajnspeak and eddie:

They are now calling what (the previous poster) ajnspeak and I knew as the "Royal Antiguan" , "The Grand Royal Antiguan". So your question has me confused.

If you were indeed comparing Grand Pineapple with Sandals Grande, I ditto everything ajnspeak said.

If you are thinking of the Grand Royal Antiguan, that is also very different from the other two. Royal Antiguan is on a lovely beach on the west side of the island. It is about the same distance to St. Johns as Sandals is (though in a totally different direction) whereas Pineapple is half an hour at least from St Johns if this makes a difference (for going out to eat, shopping, etc). Of Grand Pineapple, Sandals, or Royal, it is in the middle size-wise. It was the first "high-rise" resort in Antigua----by which I mean it is all of 7 or so stories------but that makes it a bit non-Caribbean-style. Personally I dislike that, because if I were staying in a hotel I'd want to walk right out onto the beach as opposed to having a balcony----but that's my personal taste. (Most rooms at Sandals also have this issue).

Royal Antiguan is on a beautiful, beautiful part of the island.....much better than Sandals. You might find the beach slightly more private than Grand Pineapple------that's a judgment-call. It is certainly a less crowded beach than Sandals. If you want to explore other beaches, there are certainly more other beaches nearby Royal than Pineapple---and Sandals is probably equal to Royal on having other beaches nearby.

So as you can probably figure out, these are three different properties!!!! You need to think about what you most want in a vacation, and decide based on those criteria.

3. Re: which resort is best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 06:22