We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

Wisconsin, USA
4 posts
Save Topic
need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

Hi all!

I've been reading through reviews for restaurants on the island, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I will be getting married in April at the St. James's Club but was thinking about venturing out somewhere else for dinner afterwards.

We'll have a party of about 12-15 people, and I'd like to find somewhere with great views and great food, of course. Sheer and Le Bistro sound like good choices. Any opinions????

antigua
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

if you want great view and great food then you need to check out "The Tides" which is very new. I went for dinner there this weekend for the first time and it was excellent. Right on the water too, the building is brand new. I am sure they have a website or a listing somewhere. google them.

They are as far from you as Le Bistro though (40 minutes)!

For something very close but very good you may want to check Hideout.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

Agree with 365 - the Hideout is convenient (and the food is fabulous), but doesn't by any means have the views. The Inn at English Harbour might be a good choice though, and is also very close to St James.

The Tides certainly has a lovely location, and I hear very good things about the food. Le Bistro has no view to speak of at all. Both are quite a long way to go.

Another option (if you can manage a Friday or Saturday) might be Harmony Hall - not quite so far away and has lovely views. I'd also highly recommend Carlisle Bay.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

You might find Sheer wouldn't be able to seat more than half of your party together, so you'd be looking at splitting up due to the layout of the restaurant.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

Rumour has it that Harmony is closing this month!

Calgary,Alberta
Level Contributor
211 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

We got married at the SJC and treated our wedding guests to dinner at Piccolo Mondo ( the surcharge restaurant on the resort.)

They set us up in the far corner with 2 tables of 10.Had our cake and champagne set up for us also.They decorated the tables with wedding confetti , put out some balloons and set out the placecards and extra candles that we brought with us. Almost all of our guests had sometype of seafood off the menu and thoroughly enjoyed their meals.

It ended up costing us less than $1000 including a good tip to have our wedding dinner on the resort.

I have heard great things about the Hideout Restaurant which is located on the road above the resort where some beautiful villas are. They do have a website , just google it and check out the photos, it looks really nice...

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

IMHO Tides and Le Bistro too far. Why not have Valerie Hodge do a special dinner at Shirley Heights? Otherwise the Inn is my choice or Copper and Lumber.

Wisconsin, USA
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

Wow, first of all thank you to you all for the opinions and suggestions. I appreciate it greatly! Having never been to the island before I have a certain amount of anxiety about the trip. I want it to be great!

I think 40 mins may be a bit far to try to travel, so I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm thinking that staying on the southern part of the island would be the best idea, so I'll be looking into some of the other ideas you all have posed.

I've also not figured out if/who will be taking care of the photography and if we want to take photos outside of the resort. That may play into the dinner plans.

Thanks again & if you think of anything else please do share!!

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

I can`t speak for the food, but presumably Caribchakita knows something about the lady he recommends, so assume it is great. Then I can`t think of anywhere with a more perfect view. For your guests to have pre-dinner drinks on the terrace overlooking English Harbour would be an experience both you and they would cherish forever. Go for Shirley Heights !!

Northern NY (Qc/Vt...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

What a great topic!

We are getting married during our upcoming visit to the island, but will most likely do the ceremony in town (only of 4 of us), then head for some after ceremony celebrations. We will be staying on the Eastern side of the island.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

For Billiardguy: If you are getting married in town, I am assuming it's a morning wedding? In that case, a couple of the options (like Le Bistro) might not work for you. I do agree with Caribchakita regarding The Inn at English Harbour if you can have your wedding lunch up on the terrace instead of at the beachside place.

Tides is open for lunch and would be nice. Their website is www.thetidesantigua.com (or email them at thetides@apuainet.ag). I haven't eaten there yet but stopped recently after a lunch at nearby Cecilia's and the place looked nice with a good menu emphasizing seafood.

La Bussola is on the beach (eat out in the seaside garden or inside in the open-air dining room) and serves fabulous food. It is owned by a chef and his family (the Tagliaventis)----they are great about doing special on-request things, and I highly recommend them (www.labussolarestaruant.net) and sure, tell them I sent you!

Staying on the east side of the island (I am assuming Verandah or Pineapple Beach?) there isn't anything nearby. English Harbour (and thus, The Inn) would be closest at about 25 minutes away. Tides is close to the airport so is about 15 minutes from town (depending on traffic) and 25 or so from the east side. La Bussola is a bit further, at 30 or 35 minutes away (but only 10 minutes or less from St. John's).

Northern NY (Qc/Vt...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: need restaurant suggestions for post-wedding dinner

I like the idea of Tides, and think that is the route we will take. Now just have to decide on if we drive ourselves, or do the Taxi thing for the day!