We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

We have been to Antigua for the last 2 years and absolutely love it here, i love Jolly Beach and the colour of the sea here, we wanted to go back for our first wedding anniversary but cannot get the accomodation we wanted for our dates so we could go later or try St Lucia how do the 2 compare especially the beaches just really worried about getting there and it not living up to Antigua any thoughts anybody ??

Thanks a lot Kelly

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

TBH the beaches don't compare that well. St Lucia is lovely (much wetter though) but is more about scenery than beaches. If you wanted a more comparable alternative, I think I'd recommend Grenada instead.

Have you thought about a villa at JH though? There are some really very nice ones, and very competitively priced.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

Hi George,

Yes we have looked into renting privately the trouble is with the airfare for 4 its works out way too expensive, we would be paying in airfare the same as for the whole holiday with virgin, you said SL is alot wetter than Antigua so does it rain a lot more and for longer than the short showers you get in antigua, will have a look in to grenada as well thanks for the info,

Cheers Kelly

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

The interior of St Lucia is much wetter than Antigua. The coastal areas of St Lucia are only slightly wetter than Antigua. The same goes for Grenada - the south-west peninsula (of Grenada) is much drier than the rest of the island.

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
793 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

Going to Antigua in Nov 2010, but if you want to see some pictures of St Lucia to get a flavor then try:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kagjjg

caribbean
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

Antigua is all about the beaches. The interior is dry and scrubby. Some of its hotels are up there with the very best.

St lucia does have a few nice beaches, but its beauty is in the interior, the rainforest, the waterfalls, and the hot springs. St lucia also has hotels to match all but the most exclusive of Antigua. Thats the choice.

Grenada, as someone mentioned, is much like St Lucia but more low-key, and has some of the most welcoming people you could ever meet.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

I would suggest that you perhaps do not try to compare both Islands, but think of them as completely different destinations in the same part of the World.

Whilst Antigua has the wonderful beaches that we all know and love, St Lucia has quite spectacular scenery and many options for day trips into the rainforest, which of course is lacking on Antigua.

One of our most memorable experiences on St Lucia was watching the whales migrating, from a small boat not far off Soufriere in the South West of the Island and of course the schools of dolphins that appear from nowhere whenever you take to the water.

On our last trip we stayed at Jalousie in an oceanfront villa with its own pool, directly between The Pitons and I have to say that the experience of looking up at the Pitons from the beach @ Jalousie will stay in your mind for ever. The scenery is quite breathtaking and of course the frequent rainshowers ensure the spectacular floral displays.

It is by no means a wealthy Island, do not expect good shopping, but as a change from Barbados and Antigua it is certainly worth experiencing.

Jalousie is in the process of being revamped at the moment but have a look at it and see what you think. If you are divers the scuba diving faciities are, or were, excellent, as the Marine Park is right off the beach.

I hope this helps you to make your decision.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

Thanks for all the replies i have taken the plunge and booked St Lucia, i know my sons especially my 9 year old will love all the rain forest activities and the different wildlife and the volcano, pitons and waterfalls i think this will be a far more active holiday than Antigua but hopefully we will all enjoy it just as much just very different, we are staying at reduit beach and while its not jolly beach it does not look too shabby, I will really miss Antigua this year though and especially some of the lovely friends we have made in the last 2 years.

essex
Level Contributor
489 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

been to both.

i'm not going to rant on, but i would choose st. lucia everytime !

one brief spell of rain one afternoon is all we experienced and it was refreshing !

London, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

I can't decide either. We went to Ocho Rios for Xmas 2009 but were disappointed by the beach and also we had a couple of days of continual rain. For this Christmas I thought we might get better weather going further south to St Lucia and chose the Rendezvous, but then I saw the glorious beaches in Antigua. Any advice please?

10. Re: For those of you that have been to Antigua and St Lucia ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 07:16