We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

Hubby and I are looking to visit Antigua for our babymoon in late April and having a difficult time deciding where to stay. After much reading, have narrowed down to two resorts: Verandah and Sugar Ridge, but can't decide between the two. The rooms at Sugar Ridge seem beautiful and include breakfast. But there is no beach. I will be six months pregnant so would like to how long and easy is the walk to the beach. Also, I assume we have to pay for chairs at the beach??

The Verandah waterview room seems nice, but nowhere as nice as Sugar Ridge. Does anyone know how much does the breakfast cost there (we are not into doing AI). The upside to this place is that they have a decent beach.

Also, are there restaurants at walking distance to either of these?

Overall, which resort do you recommend??? Thank you!!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

The two are very different. The Verandah is very isolated - there's very little else in the vicinity - you can have lunch at the Long Bay Hotel or Mama Pasta over on Long Bay 'next door', but that's about it. However, it does overlook the beach. Eating at the resort can end up getting pretty expensive if you're not AI - it's sometimes worth looking for a b&b rate?

Sugar Ridge is more upmarket 'boutique' styled, with nice rooms and a lovely pool. There are two restaurants, and a lot of others just over the road at the Jolly Harbour complex - as well as bars, banks, pharmacy, large supermarket and other stores.

However, you do have to use the shuttle to get to the beach - It's not too long a walk down to Jolly Beach - perhaps a 10 minute stroll - but is fairly steeply uphill on the way back, and it can be pretty warm by late April, especially if you're near the end of your second trimester! Chairs should be available for your use, and I think the shuttle is now running pretty efficiently.

If you're not going AI (and I applaud you for that!) and don't intend to have a car for the whole of your stay, the three most realistic places to stay are Falmouth/English Harbour - which will be incredibly busy at the end of April as Sailing Week is imminent - the Jolly Harbour area (including Sugar Ridge) and Dickenson Bay. Did you consider Siboney? It's an older, smaller property, but has a charm of its own, is right at the beach, and is very close to lots of dining choices.

Of the two you've got there, I think I'd go for Sugar Ridge.

Just a last thought - did you consider a self-catering option? There are some lovely villas at Jolly Harbour or one of the condos next door at Tranquility Bay, or somewhere like Buccaneer Beach Club over at Dickenson?

Edited: 12 March 2010, 23:00
newyork
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

We just returned from Jolly harbour - its across from Sugar Ridge. Sugar

Ridge is very upsccale, modern, and is built into the mountain (thus, the

views) yet it is a very steep climb or cart ride to the rooms or anything. I saw

them bus people down to our beach - It is quite a hike if you walked it (in

very hot sun). You may want to re-think staying there.

Antigua
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

Verandah is very secluded but 2 beautiful white beaches one adults only the other everyone 2 pools one adults only the other for everyone, long bay is only a minuite walk away and great for snorkelling.

The food is great, the beach bar and grill is yummy and quick and located just above the main beach where all the activity's are like kyaks and sunsails and all that stuff, they have their own sail boat that goes out on tours about twice a week.

Their are 4 returants, nicoles u have to pay a 25us pp sur charge but well worth it the food is amazing lobster filet mignon coconut shrimp tasty fish, its great.

Sugar ridge does not have any beaches 1 pool and the resturant isnt that great. u have to walk 15 to 20 min to get to the beach and pay for your drinks once their.

I would recommend verandah.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

I don't think the beaches are divided into adults only, in fact all beaches in Antigua (including Verandah) are public beaches.

Antigua
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

Verandah has a man made beach, which we only allow adults on, the only way to get to it is if u come in through reception and if you do not belong to the hotel their is no way you will be getting in if your a local, secondly only the main beach which is a public beach is where the kids and watersports are.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

How does Verandah get round the high water mark ruling?

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

First let me say I agree with MizGeorge's original comments regarding the choices of accommodation, including (especially) her alternative suggestions. One thing I didn't hear mentioned regarding Verandah is that many guests complain about the 45-or-so-step stairway to the beach.

I cannot imagine who is posting regarding Verandah saying "we" only allow adults on the man-made beach ( and for the record: Both beaches are to one extent or the other man-made). As a previous poster noted, ALL beaches in Antigua are public, and every hotel MUST provide access of some kind.

anunupe
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

So does this mean there are now 366 beaches in Antigua? lol

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

Thank you all soo much!!

10. Re: Verandah vs. Sugar Ridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 05:16