We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

Toronto
Level Contributor
139 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

Is it far/safe to walk from Galley Bay to Hawksbill beach? Can you rent chairs etc. Just wondering if it is an option of the water is too rough at Galley Bay. Thanks!

Highland Village...
Level Contributor
210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

Both times we've gone from Galley Bay we have driven, it doesn't seem like it would be an easy or really short walk. Maybe about 20 minutes but alot uphill. You cannot go via the beach due to cliffs, you would have to walk out the main gate of Galley Bay.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

If it's rough at Galley Bay, it will also be rough at Hawksbill. It isn't so bad a walk, but it is indeed uphill. The road isn't busy (since it dead-ends at Hawksbill) but many of us stop to ask walkers if they'd like a lift.

You don't need to rent chairs, the hotel is gracious about letting non-guests use them. If you want drinks or food though, you have to buy a day-pass which to my mind is quite a rip-off. But it's worth taking a walk along the beaches, they are among the most beautiful in Antigua.

Toronto
Level Contributor
139 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

Thanks Cessnapilot, what are your top two beaches if Galley Bay is rough?

Are cabs expensive? Thanks!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

First the easy part---yes, cabs are expensive (in my opinion, anyway). You can find some fares on www.antiguanice.com.

The second part of your question is interesting to me, as an "expert" who sometimes feels like she answers the same questions over and over again! People on this forum constantly ask, "what are the best beaches?" (and for the record, mine are, in order: 1) my secret one; 2) Halfmoon; 3) Hawksbill). So thank you for asking instead, what is best if if Galley Bay isn't working for you.

Closest to you, if you just want to get out of bad surf, is likely the beach at the Grand Royal Antiguan. You actually can walk there from Galley Bay-----I've never done so myself so can't say exactly but I'll guess 20 minutes.

Second choice would be the beach at Coconut, which because I am an old lady I refer to (as do most locals) by it's former name of Yepton. This would be a longer walk, but is do-able.

If those choices don't work, you do indeed need a car or taxi. You can go northeast towards Runaway Bay/Dickinson Bay, or southwest towards the Caribbean coast (Valley Church, Jolly Beach, Darkwood, etc)

Longer taxi-rides, but that might include some sight-seeing, would be a trip to always-calm Pigeon Beach coupled with looking around English Harbour. Long Bay Beach is also generally calm (and probably the best snorkeling on the island) but on most days is a bit too overrun with cruise ship people for my taste.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 04:58
5. Re: Walking distance to Hawksbill beach from Galley Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Antigua