We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

Alabama
2 posts
Save Topic
HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

I have read so many reviews and I am SO confused. Can anyone help me with which side to book on and if so what building, room, etc. I realized some of the reviews are just people who like to complain, but I would like to know if the great reviews are only from ones that can afford the best of everything, (which I wish I could). We are not cheap by any means and would like to try the butler service if it is worth it. In Costa Rica, although he was sweet, really did nothing for the extra money. We go all inclusive so that we don't have to worry about much, is there another place we should look? Any others been to a great all inclusive somewhere else they like to share?

Thanks

Amanda

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

We like the smaller adult only all inclusive resorts, have a look at the Couples resorts in Jamaica (San Souci and Swept Away). We are going to Galley Bay this year.

Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

Thanks! We went to Jamaica 2 years ago and LOVED it also. I will check out Galley Bay... Appreciate the response.

Amanda

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

Sandals Grande Antigua is a great resort, very much like two resorts in one. There is the older Caribbean Grove side which are lower rise buildings set among beautiful gardens and lush foliage. Some are right on the beach. This side was the original resort. The newer Mediterranean Village is higher rise buildings set back from the beach, mostly oceanview and the rooms at minimum are concierge level.

Our preference is the Mediterranean Village because we like newer and ocean views, plus it is closer to the large main pool.

We have been to or stayed at all Sandals resorts on all islands but have never booked butler category (except for our upcoming trip to Sandals Emerald Bay). Butler category provides an added level of personal one on one service which people seem to love...I think Sandals does it very well! We've never felt the need to have butler service and I dare say we enjoy our Sandals vacations as much as those who do have the service of a butler.

Don't be confused by the reviews...take the really bad ones and the really good ones with a grain of salt. The important thing is to consider them as only part of your research. If there happens to be something which is consistently mentioned as a problem or a positive, then I add it to the equation when considering a certain resort. And I always keep in mind that what one person enjoys or dislikes about a place could be totally opposite for someone else. Ultimately if you choose SGA, you will need to decide what appeals to you most in a vacation...for us it was easy...we love concierge level, being near a big pool, ocean view and newer. So the Med Village fit the bill!

Good luck!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

We recently stayed at SGA the end of OCT, for our25th. We stayed in the Rondovals with private plunge pool with Butler service. It was a wonderful experience, we were looking for a quite romantic time. The Butler service was great for what we wanted. They would bring us breakfast every morning and we would eat it by our pool. They reserved an umbrella and gave us a cooler with the drinks we wanted at the beach. My wife loves the beach and does not like to leave so they brought us drinks and lunch from anywhere we wanted! When we went back to our room, they would bring us cheese, crackers and fruit for our private happy hour by the pool. They also made all of out dinner reservations and anything else you wanted. We had never done this before but thought for us it was a great and romantic experience!

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
714 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

We've stayed a few times on both the Caribbean Grove and Med village sides. I prefer the older side with the larger balconies, great gardens and a traditional Caribbean feel. Barb prefers the Med village for the large bathrooms and sea views. Both sides are nice, just different.

For great value in the Caribbean, we don't think you can beat the Dominican Republic.

In the end it depends on your budget.

We never have a butler at Sandals. We just use the funds we saved for a extra holiday.

Wherever you go, have a great trip.

6. Re: HELP!! Looking at Sandals Grande Antigua????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Antigua