We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

I will be visiting the island soon and if anyone knows what the locals would enjoy to receive as gifts. I remember being in Cuba and people loved to received nylon socks, pencils, perfumes, creams, etc..Any help would be appreciated.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

It's much easier to get stuff in Antigua than places like Cuba - the supermarkets are well stocked.

However, place name tee shirts, caps etc are always popular, as are shopping bags (the local plastic ones are very flimsy) and stationery for children.

For maids, housekeepers, etc, it's usually best to stick to cash tips. If you want to leave toiletries etc behind, make sure you leave a note of authorisation for the maid to take them so they aren't accused of theft.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

I agree with MizGeorge and would also add that just like in the U.S., the schools and teachers need extra things beyond what is supplied. Something as simple as multi-coloured pencils (and if you can have them printed with the local school's name so much the better) are a big hit.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

Thank you, that is most helpful. We are travelling in mid October, so any other tips would be well received.

Kay. Portsmouth

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

I wanted to bump this up to the top to see if any more responses could be added. Great post!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

Here is something I do: You know those gift-with-purchase-packages you get with department store cosmetic and fragrance purchases? It seems there's always a cream or lipstick or nail polish that I don't like or can't use. I save those throughout the year and ALONG WITH A DAILY TIP, I leave those products behind for the maid when I check out. This in NO way replaces a DAILY monetary tip...but many maids have thanked me profusely as they often can't splurge on expensive cosmetics for themselves.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

If you do want to leave gifts of cosmetics or similar, please include a note to say you're doing so. Maids have, in the past, been accused of stealing this type of item, so they need to have official permission to take them.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

What a good idea poolechick, I normally throw them away as I don't need or use them.

And mizgeorge you are so right, I would not want someone to be accused of theft when a little note would prevent this!

ct
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

Hi there - we are heading for Antigua tomorrow (yay) and I plan to use some of the ideas from this thread. As we are from the States, specifically the New York area, I wonder if New York is popular/interesting for the locals? If so, then I will aim for NY specific items. Thanks in advance.

9. Re: What do local Antiguans enjoy to receive as gifts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:42