We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nelsons Dockyard

north east
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Nelsons Dockyard

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help.

We will be arriving on a cruise ship in a couple of weeks and my husband is wanting to visit Nelsons Dockyard.

Can anyone recommend a travel company or organisation who would take us there. and also an idea of the prices.

I really just fancy chilling out on one of the fabulous beaches, so is it really worth giving up my beach dream for hubbies Nelsons Dockyard??

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

The beaches are great in ANU but Nelson's Dockyard is amazing. You can go after to Pidgeon Beach and hang out. Not our best beach but nice...

Take a taxi from the cruise ship. Prices are metered.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

Sorry to correct Ann, but taxi fares are NOT metered, they're fixed. From the pier to Dockyard is $US24 each way for up to four passengers. There are dispatchers right at the dock and the system works extremely well. Antigua's taxi men are great guides and will happily point out the sights on the way down there.

I like Pigeon beach (nearest to Dockyard), and there's a nice little bar/restaurant there (Bumpkins) for a bite to eat and a cold one. Alternatively, take a water taxi over to Galleon Beach or to Catherine's Cafe/Jonny Coconat for a nice meal.

You can easily cover the dockyard in a morning though - so you could still easily get a taxi back through fig tree drive and to one of the West Coast beaches (Turners, Darkwood, Ffreyes, Valley Church or Jolly) for a few hours on the beach before heading back to the ship.

Dockyard is unique, and a very special place, so I would say it really was worth the visit.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

Is there a cheaper way to get to the dockyard from the cruise port, such as a bus? thank you

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

To get there using public transport, you could walk down Market Street to the West Bus Terminal and catch a #17 bus to English Harbour, then walk down to Dockyard.

It's a fun way of doing it, but I'd still get a taxi back to be sure of returning in time. The buses don't run to a timetable - they go when they're full or the driver's ready.

You can also see if you can hook up with others BEFORE finding your taxi - that way the fare can be split between four of you - which makes it only $US6 each way - not a lot bearing in mind that it's on the other side of the island.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

How much do buses cost and do I need local currency to ride? Thanks for the information. I do like taking buses when traveling so this will be great.

Is there a beach to relax on and get a snack near Nelson's...that we could possibly walk to?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

Off the top of my head, I think it's about $EC3.50 down to English Harbour. Local currency is best, but they'll happily take $US2 for the ride!

The nearest beaches to Dockyard are Pigeon (walkable) or get a water taxi (very easy) over to Galleon. Both have a bar/restaurant.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

Thanks again for the info...very helpful

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

how long does it take to get to nelsons by bus?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

Around 45 minutes.

10. Re: Nelsons Dockyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Antigua