We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Caribbean Island?

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Caribbean Island?

I have never been to the Caribbean before, so I am looking for the perfect holiday. Is Antigua one of the best caribbean islands to visit?

Me and my boyfriend are looking to go in January next year. We were originally looking at Barbados, but we are not both settled on Antigua, and I just want to check that we are making the right decision. I want to go to the best island, with spectacular beach's, clear blue seas, and a variety of water sports including jet skiing.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Each Caribbean island has its own character and which is the "best" or even "one of the best" is very subjective. It depends what you want: lush or dry? flat or mountainous? small or large? English-speaking or other? Your budget is a major factor as well as costs vary tremendously. Antigua offers everything you mention, but so do many other islands.

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
794 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

The prior poster is right on! The "best" to you may not be for others.

Your first decision is if you want volcanic ie: lush (St Lucia, Grenada, Montserrat, etc) or coral like BVI's, Curacao, Antigua +/-, etc.

Take a look at some pcis at:

http://community.webshots.com/.user/kagjjg

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

We have set a budget of around 2 grand per person for 10 days. We have read up on Antigua, and it really appeals to us both. When I think of the Caribbean, I imagine a tropical paradise, with crystal clear waters and gorgeous beaches, and that it exactly what I am after. We also want somewhere we can explore and take part in various excursions. When searching on google, I have seen that Antigua dosnt even list in the top 5 best caribbean islands, and this is what has worried me a bit. We liked the look of Barbados, but Antigua seems like it is aimed more towards couples and not so much as family orientated as Barbados, which is good for us.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Would you say you favor a hopping young scene or a family scene or a mature scene? Do you like touristy or 'get away from it all'?

Jamaica, Aruba & Punta Cana(Dominican Republic) could do what you want with your budget. Two grand/person may be hard to pull off at a resort based location like Antigua. Also consider the ecocamps at Majo Bay , St. John USVI. The water there is spectacular, many watersports on St. John, but not specifically jetskis.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

I assume she means £2000 not US$2000!

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
794 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Try Club Med Turks & Caicos

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Good point - £2000 does make a bit of difference over $2000! :^)

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Yeah £2000 each. Even though we are both quite young, we have already done holidays with all the nightlife. I would say that we are both looking for the more mature scene, somewhere we can get away from it all. We have both got our hearts set on a hotel that we have found in antigua, but I am unsure as to whether we have picked the right island.

York
Level Contributor
64 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Judging by your photo you're young & probably looking for more of a fun based holiday. With that in mind, I think there will be more suitable options for you than Antigua as it tends to be more sophisticated through years of tourist dollars...... Possibly try Jamaica might be more up your street? Equally - for your budget - don't rule out Mexico as you'll get better value for your pound there: try the Excellence Playa Mujeres for brilliant feedback from guests or the Bahia Principe group of hotels are far more lively (avoid Gran Bahia Principe in Jamaica as it is very down market & not a good hotel!) & might suit your pocket and your lifestyle. More sporty? Try LeSport in St Lucia - a quality all inclusive that really is.... but you'll need to go when there are megga discounts to bring it anywhere near your budget (early summer). Or for up-market pampering my personal favourite is LaSource in Grenada - but you might find it too quiet there???

If you do decide eventually on Antigua my very top tip is to go a little later so you are there during regatta week & stay as close as possible to Nelson's Dockyard/English Harbour. We are talking a whole week of severe reggae & megga partying!!

Good luck in finding a great holiday

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Caribbean Island?

Louise ignore a lot of the comments. Antigua is beautiful and lots of young couples love it. The beaches are fab and the sea turquoise. I prefer it to Barbados it has a lovely atmosphere. If you want a quiet time in Antigua you can have it but there are opportunities for some fun if you want it like Shirley heights, some of the Catamaran trips etc some hotel beaches the jet ski visit. I would say it would more be a case of what hotel you choose as to whether it suits you. Some have better beaches and some are more chilled.

I have been to nearly all the Caribbean islands and I love Antigua the most equal to the Maldives.

Hope that helps

Sue