We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Topic
Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

My fiancé and I are spending our honeymoon at Sandals Grande Antigua this summer and want to know if it is acceptable for her to sunbath topless at the resort or on the beach. We have vacationed in other Caribbean resorts where this was not a big deal but wanted to check before we get there.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

Why not? I'll be topless when I'm there. Oh wait, the ol' double standard. I forgot.

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

Strictly speaking it's illegal, but many do it. While it's unlikely that anyone will say anything, locals on the beach may disapprove. Be discreet.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

Just to clarify, I'm a male and can move freely without my shirt on all around the world. Since both sexes have the same 'pointy parts' I find it to be silly that those are required to be covered on females. But rules are rules.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

All beaches in Antigua are public, they do not belong to the resort. As has already been said, it is against the law to sunbathe topless, and locals on the beach may disapprove. I think that visitors should respect the local laws, and also show some respect for the local population. In other words, do not sunbathe topless on the beach.

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

With full respect for Antigua laws and local customs, and considering the number of European visitors, my question is more about can you do it or not without getting in official trouble. I have read on these forums that it is becoming more acceptable. Just don't want "Antiguan Prison" to be part of our honeymoon story. I think people should relax a little and not care about such things...

All that said, can't wait to get down there!

Long Island
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

We are Staying there on honeymoon this summer also. Beginning of July. When are you going and have you been to Antigua or sandals?

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

We have never been to Antigua but will be there the last week of June and the first few days of July. Sorry we will miss you if you're coming in July! Congrats on your wedding!

England
Level Contributor
825 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

ThomasATX

I think you are missing the point a little. You are asking whether you will get into trouble with the law if you sunbathe topless, as you don't want to end up in prison. Very little chance of that, I think! However, you are ignoring the fact that it is not really acceptable to Antiguans, so that should be your answer. If you do have respect for them, you will not wish to offend them. It is their country, and we should adhere to their way of life as much as is practical.

You may well find when you arrive that there are loads of people sunbathing topless, in which case I guess you can join in without worrying.

But, do think of the local people before whipping your bikini top off, please!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

Spent Christmas there and didn't see any topless sunbathing while there.

Gran Canaria, Spain
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Topless Sunbathing at Sandals Grande Antigua?

Bugger. I hate tanlines. :o(

Get answers to your questions about Antigua
Recent Conversations