We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

We are going to Cocobay Resort in November, we have never been to an all inclusive resort, so should we tip daily and as we drink at the bar or do we do it at the end of the holiday?

And what is the rate, 10 - 15% or 15 - 20%?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

There should be no "required" tipping at all at an all-inclusive resort. However, we generally tip the luggage porter a few bucks depending on the amount of bags and the distance he needs to transport them. Other tips, for outstanding service, may include the room maid a few bucks a day and paid near the end of the holiday. Bartenders, again based on outstanding service, US$5, 10 or 20 discretely near the end of your stay.

It's virtually impossible to use a percentage method at an AI resort because you generally have no idea what things actually cost you. However, regular tips are supposed to already be included in the resort pricing.

Cheers,

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

Thanks Terry. We have been going to Orlando for our holidays for the last few years, so are used to tipping the going rate. Would not want the staff at the resort to think we were mean by not tipping or by not tipping the right amount!!

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

I'm certain that any amount of tip received will be greatly appreciated by whatever staff you care to bestow same upon.

Cheers,

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
558 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

We've done AI in several places in the Caribbean. THe guidelines we were given are broadly as above.

If you have the same chambermaid all the time - roughly US$10-20 per week. (We also tend to give a small tip near the start as a thank you for gettign the room ready before you arrive.) If different staff - either a few US$ each or cash into a general tip box. Bar and restaurant staff as above.

If all your staff change frequently - it is worth asking if there is a general tip fund shared between all staff.

Hope this helps

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

Jane

Thanks yes it does help alot! I just didnt want to offend by not tipping enough or tipping the wrong people!

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

Some hotels insist No Tipping, so best check out the hotel rules first. People accepting tips can - if seen in some hotels - lose their jobs.

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

At the end of our stay at CocoBay I inquired at the front desk about a lump sum tip and they indicated that they would be happy to accept a lump sum tip on behalf of all the staff.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

Thanks JJG

Maybe thats the way to go, will speak to someone whilst we are there!

Hortonville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

I can offer this up. When you first arrive determine if tipping is allowed, tip your bartenders to see if you get increased service and go from there. chamber help should always be tipped they are taking care of where you live! I can say I have had bartenders that would have a drink waiting for you when they would see you and others that could care less, who do you think got the tips?..

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive Resort?

Redbird, thanks thats a good idea!

Chamber staff would you tip daily or wait till the end of your holiday?