We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

please someone help me calm down...iv just read the latest review on st james club( which im going to in october ) and theyv said there were lots of trantulers there, i have a hugh fear of spiders i know sometimes it cant be helped but theyv made it sound like there were a few im hoping this is something the person has exagerated on and would like to hear from someone else that has been recently thankyou..

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

You really don't need to worry!!

I won't lie, there are spiders on Antigua - they tend to be called tarantulas, though many are actually different species - but the chances of you seeing one, unless you're actively looking for it, are generally very slim. If you shine a torch on a lawn when it's been raining heavily at night, you might spot one flooded out of its burrow, but they're certainly not running around all over the place.

I know it's pointless to say that they're far more afraid of you than you should be of them, but they really aren't going to hurt you if you should chance upon one.

You'll see plenty of lizards, the occasional cockroach, and lots of mongoose, but there is incredibly little wildlife on Antigua, especially compared to some of the lush green islands.

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

Oh dear...I have been to Antigua 12 times and seen one once. We had to save it from drowning in the pool at Dickenson Bay Cottages and I must say once we got it out of the pool, we never saw it again. It was the day after Bertha decided to visit Antigua, so it probably got blown in. When we stayed at the St. James Club, which is on the other side of the island, didn't see one at all which is good because most days I was seeing double, damm rum!!!

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

thanks guys i have been to antigua about 6 times and to tell you the truth iv never ever thought about spiders its only cos this person mentioned it.my husband thinks im mad cos we been going to the caribbean for 20 years and have never ever seen one, but im going with my niece the men are stayin home so maybe that why im nervous...i remember when we stayed at grand pineapple and the toads came out when it rained that also happened in st lucia this year we went in may and had lots of rain but i never even though about spiders...so i think the the best thing for me to do is double up on the rum that will make me big and brave lol..i think i just pictured lots of them running around all over the place..(silly me)...

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

I am arachnophobic too and this year I saw a tarantula almost every night in Antigua!!! I must say that it is the rainy season and I only saw them on rainy nights - they were sitting on the path near the lights on the way back to our room at nights or scuttling about. I must admit I was afraid, but I always carried my little pocket torch with me and shone it in front of me and walked as noisily as I could (stamping my feet slightly) this made any critters who might have been in the vacinity run away! Try it - it does work!

And don't let the possibility of seeing those things ruin your holiday - we were up in the hills and surround by trees, plants etc, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

cricky dont think i could handle that...where did you stay...and thanks for the tips i shall get a big pair of noisy clogs or maybe get someone to piggy bag me back to the room everynight lol..

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

We stayed at the Cocobay Resort way up in Bolans - it is a very secluded resort almost on a hill and is surrounded by lots of trees, flowers, shrubs and grass etc so an ideal place for them, especially in the rainy season! Please do not worry - I am the same as you and was very frightened at the thought of coming across them, but they do keep out of your way and you'd probably never even see one at whatever resort you are staying at. It's purely only because of it being very rainy some nights and our location. Just have a wonderful holiday x

ontario canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

I have stayed at St James club 3 times now and have never seen any of the spiders that they speak of.

We go in the month of January, not sure if that would make a difference.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

My Mum used to practically cultivate tarantulas. "They aerate the garden", she said; and even since she's been resting in peace we would have them in the house occasionally.....and would take a broom and send them off.

But this is an interesting question, because it dawns on us that we haven't had one in the house in literally years. Hmmmm.

Lately we have been getting more of those disgusting things we call "Monkey Spiders"-----those skinny-but-yucky orangish things. They don't bite but I have found one in my water glass, and a small one clinging to the mozzie-net over my bed.......BLEAHHHHH!!!!!

Edited: 08 August 2011, 07:18
Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

I really hate spiders and all creepy crawlies come to that!! I can now see myself squealing alot when we are there!

Lizards and such dont bother me its the insect type things!

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oh my god iv gone in to panic mode....

Compared to most tropical places Antigua has very little insect life, not sure why but it doesn't!

Get answers to your questions about Antigua