We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

Am due to book flights in next few days. I thought Virgin would be great but have only seen negative reports (broken seats, old scruffy bashed up interiors, problems securing seats etc). We were going to pay a bit extra for premium economy to ensure a bit more comfort on the journey. Dont know who to book with. Please advise !!!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

There have been a few negative posts about Virgin recently, but these need to be put into the context of many, many perfectly satisfied passengers.

The premium economy service is excellent, especially on the Eastbound journey - and so, so much better than the equivalent world traveller plus from BA. Try to get an upstairs seat (yes, these are still the old configuration Gatwick fleet, which is what most of the discontent has been about), and you'll find yourself pretty close to BA club, which is twice the price.

It is worth trying to avoid the Saturday flights if possible, as the airport gets horribly busy on a Saturday afternoon.

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

thanks Mizgeorge, I will try and book upstairs seat if book with Virgin (didn't even know there was an upstairs!). Do you know who else would be worth flying with?

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

From Gatwick think its just BA or Virgin unless you want the hassle of flying to USA then from there to Antigua !!!!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

Yep. Just the two now. BMI used to come in from Manchester, but not for a few years now.

Virgin really are absolutely fine - and the good stuff about the service far outweighs the bad - the twilight check in at Gatwick is brilliant, and the check in chill out service in Antigua is well worth using if you want to get those last few hours in the pool.

The 'upstairs' is the bubble of the 747s. Because of the way they're configured for premium economy you get a fantastic amount of space, and best of all a lovely wide aisle.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

Hello...We have just returned from Antigua,and had a superb flight with Virgin. Plane was clean(loos too).We flew economy outbound as it's a day flight-no worries,slightly cramped like all economy flights,but the crew were great-food usual airline stuff!..Flew premium economy on the return flight,seating available upstairs in the bubble....well worth the bit extra,much quieter,cabin crew couldn't have been more helpful and friendly..Don't think I've been on a night flight that went so quickly!...

There will always be people ready to be negative-think it's the human condition to be so sometimes!!... Enjoy your flight,whoever you book with..

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

Sold! Virgin it is. Many, many thanks.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

If you have booked Virgin, I hope there is no problems as Virgin won't want to help and don't. I will never fly with them again.

Hope you have a good flight and great holiday

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

I can not agree more with mizgeorge, premium on Virgin is head and shoulders above BA world traveller plus. IMO premium with Virgin is worth paying the extra for especially in the upstairs bubble.

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

We did exactly the same as 'slightlyagedp' and it was great. Loved the upstairs section. If you book virgin, make sure you book your seats online to get upstairs.

I have had problems with a virgin holiday previously and it was resolved quickly by their customer services. I am sure others have had positive and negative experiences with both ba and virgin.

For me - reserving seats for no charge, twilight check in the night before a holiday and check in chill out on last day of the holiday sells virgin over ba to me every time!

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I avoid flying with Virgin?

Another vote for Virgin here! When I have rung them they have been extremley helpful!

I have a problem with collection of tickets as we live in Germany but flying from Gatwick, and they really have bent over backwards to help!

Never had a problem with seats either. When I booked this package, I checked BA as everyone said how much better they were, well when the price difference came in it was almost 2000 pound!