We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandals Antigua or Negril

ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
sandals Antigua or Negril

As I have said in a previous post in the jamaica forum, my husband and I went to Sandals Ocho Rios for our honeymoon 15 yrs ago and wanted to go back to Sandals again. This is the year. So we have narrowed it down to Negril or Antigua. We may take part in activities but are more the relax at the pool or beach kind of people and I am a little picky about what I eat. Right now, Antigua is preferable b/c it is closer to the airport but will travel for the better suited resort.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
899 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandals Antigua or Negril

I haven't been to Sandals Negril yet, but have been to other Sandals in Jamaica. We are returning next month for our 2nd visit to Sandals Antigua.

I think the beach experience at Antigua and Negril will be similar--both are long beaches, busy with vendors and other resort guests. Sandals Antigua is a larger resort comprised of the older quaint Caribbean side and the newer modern Mediterranean side. There are several pools throughout the resort including one really large one, compared to only a couple of pools at Negril. There are 7 restaurant options at Antigua, plus a pizzaria and a cafe.

Antigua is a much smaller island and easy to get around if you chose to do any excursions. We toured the highlights of the island in less than 5 hours when we were last there. Shopping is a few minute taxi ride away from the resort in St. John. And the resort is only 10-15 minutes from the airport, which is a big plus.

If you have any additional specific questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll try to help.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandals Antigua or Negril

If this is your opportunity to visit a different island, then I would go with SGA.

SGA is larger than SN and gives you two different types of experiences depending on whether you stay in the Caribbean Grove side or the Mediterranean Village side.

Pools at SGA are far nicer in my opinion than SN. SN probably outdoes SGA as far as the beach because it is located on beautiful 7-mile beach.

We've stayed at SGA, but have only spent a day at SN...we are booked there next year. So I can't comment on the food comparison as we only had one meal at SN...food is so subjective anyway!

Between the two resorts, and based on our preferences, SGA appeals more to us. But we are looking forward to giving SN a try!

We've been to or stayed at all Sandals (except Hicacos and Royal Plantation), and our all time favourites are Sandals Whitehouse, Sandals Grande St. Lucian, Sandals Grande Antigua and Sandals Royal Caribbean (in that order). Not sure yet where SN will fit in, but the above resorts are all ones we have returned to numerous times or else plan to return to in the next year or two.

Good luck with your decision!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandals Antigua or Negril

I left it too late to edit!

hoppersh's post reminded me that I forgot to add Sandals Emerald Bay as a favourite. It is tied with Sandals Grande St. Lucian!

4. Re: sandals Antigua or Negril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 03:18