We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua as an Island

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua as an Island

We've been traveling to the Caribbean for over 20 years and have been to numerous islands (st. john, st. thomas, st. martaan, st. lucia, tortola, anguilla, bahamas, martinique, grand cayman, dominican republic, st. barts, etc.), but have never been to Antigua. From what most people are saying it doesn't sound like Antigua is that great of an island for beaches and restaurants and relaxation. Is this true? Are we better off not trying Antigua?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua as an Island

Where are you hearing that most people say that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua as an Island

Some reviews on this site as well as others. I'm guessing you don't agree?

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua as an Island

Well, I guess my first reaction is "Huh?"

It is indeed different than every place you mention......but holy cow, those 11 places you mention are totally different than each other! In one breath, St Barts...in another St. Thomas....then the Bahamas....then Dominican Republic....then Anguilla! I am breathless from the huge differences between these places.

I do not mean to be snide; I just don't understand your question. Antigua is a lovely island that is world-reknowned for its beaches----of which it has more than almost any other island in the Caribbean, so I don't understand what you've read that has led you to think otherwise.

As to restaurants; while its not St. Barts, there is some high-quality dining, just some fun beach-bar types of things, and some truly great local food.

"Relaxation" is certainly a personal choice, but from my perspective that is the most confusing part of your question. Personally I think it is very relaxing to be in the sun on a Caribbean beach, but I am not sure what you've read that causes you to think the island is not relaxing.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua as an Island

Beach Bum

I really cant comment on the Islands you have been too, as I have never been to the Caribbean, My DH and I go for the first time in November, we have chosen Antigua after months of research, and being on this forum has just confirmed our choice. Antigua as I see it has so much to offer, excursions, excitement, relaxation, good food, fantastic beaches (litterally hundreds of them!)!

We have chosen to go to CocoBay Resort, we absolutley can not wait to enjoy the pleasure of both the hotel and the island!

If I were you I would give it a go, a holiday is predominatley what you make of it and you may live to regret not trying it!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua as an Island

We visited Antigua on 2 cruises and saw her from a land-based tour and a sea-based tour - what a beautiful island - we can't wait to return! I can only assume your sources are folks who enjoy busier destinations such as STT and SXM and/or large AI resorts like in the DR.

Beachbum we've been touring the Carib for only 10 years, we started cruising to see the different islands. We've taken only 7 cruises because we get much more enjoyment in staying on the islands and enjoying the beauty and the people. Your list of visited islands includes many that we've been to and we love (Tortola at least), and we found Antigua to be similar to many islands that are not overly-developed. St Thomas and St Marteen are definitely not in the same category with Antigua (thankfully). There are numerous luxury resorts on Antigua that we will never see other than in CRT&L, unfortunately, and for our first visit we'll have to watch closely for deals at some of the more affordable resorts. But the waters and beaches are gorgeous. I would want to include a day sail to Barbuda or the Grenadines in our visit too.

But take a look at reviews and feedback from people who really do know Antigua, I consider it a beautiful destination with wonderful views of the harbors and the coast. The regatta is exciting as well. But if you prefer the STT or SXM experience Antigua may not be for you either - best way is to try 'er out!

[EDIT] Also some of the bluest water we have ever seen anywhere - period.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 20:12
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antigua as an Island

Antigua is my FAVORITE island!!!! The beaches are incredible. We have been there numerous times on cruises and then we spent a week there for our 25th wedding anniversary. We plan to go for another week in a couple of years. Island is so friendly and since we love the beach, you just cannot beat it. We have spent weeks in many other islands and love them all, been to many on cruises also, but Antigua will always hold a special place in my heart. Just love it there. Love everything about it.

7. Re: Antigua as an Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:18