We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

I'm heading to Antigua on Saturday and I'm in the process of doing up a rough itinerary. My partner send me his list of things he would like to see. I'm trying to determine if it would be possible to see these in 1 day, or will we need to do it over several days?

We will be renting a car and doing this on our own.

English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard.

Shirley Heights

Fort Barrington

Fort Berkeley

Fort James

Sir Vivian Williams Stadium (Can you check out the stadium? or just see if from the road?)

Cathedral of St John the Devine

We will probably rent a car for 2 days. The second day we would check out the beaches and possibly anything we missed in day one.

What order should be do this in? Any suggestions?

(We are staying at The Verandah)

Also, is there any Micro Breweries or places we can pick up Antigua made Alcohol (Beer, spirits?)

Thanks!

K

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

I would say you would need a couple of days.

Shirley Heights and English Harbour, Nelsons dockyard could be done in a oner, Shirley Heights is only on, on a sunday night though!

Not sure where your Forts are!

The Viv Richards Stadium if I remember rightly is by the airport, and I was told you could go in.

Hopefully someone else can chip in with some more info!

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

Thanks 5lfc!

As for Shirley Heights. I know about the Sunday BBQ... but we wanted to actually see the sights there, not the big party. Can you not access that any day of the week or is it closed off to the public?

I was thinking if we could not make it, then we would just go on Sunday, but I was told its not great to see when there is people everywhere.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

Sir Viv is smack in the middle of the island, not near the airport. You will be driving past it at some point but don't go out of your way. I believe the cathedral is closed for repairs at the moment. Local beer is Wadadli, which was made here until recently. The brewery is closed and it is now made on St. Vincent. Look for Wadadli Gold, it has more taste. No micro brews. You will easily find Antigua rum - English Harbour and Cavalier.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

I would also split in two. Visit English Harbour/Nelson's Dockyard and Fort Berkeley, then get some lunch and spend some time at one of the beaches - either Galleon Bay or Pigeon - both have places to eat and are lovely to chill out at.

Go up to Shirley Heights later in the day (your entrance ticket from Dockyard covers this too). You can go up at any time.

If you have time, you could stop at Half Moon Bay on your way back.

For a second day, head across the island towards St Johns. This will take you past the stadium, but frankly it's not worth stopping to see. The old Recreation Ground is iconic to cricketers everywhere, whilst the new one is just a poorly maintained Chinese built white elephant in the middle of nowhere. Head into town for a bit of a look around (perhaps some duty free shopping or a browse round Redcliffe Quay) and grab a Roti from Roti King, followed by an Ice Cream from Australian! The cathedral is closed at the moment, but you might find the Museum interesting.

Fort James is only a short way north of town, and whilst the view is pretty (especially at sunset), I'm not sure it's worth a special trip. I think you might get more from a run down the Western / Southwestern coast, with a stop at one of the lovely beaches (Jolly / Valley Church / Ffryes / Darkwood / Turners / Carlisle) for a drink and a dip, and then fig tree drive, perhaps with a stop at the lovely (and incredibly peaceful) Wallings Dam and then either go back cross country via All Saints and, or through Liberta and Falmouth.

As for Fort Barrington, it's quite a way from anything else - though you could take a run over there, have a bit of beach time at Deep Bay (which is beautiful), and then (nerves of steel permitting) take a run up to the top of Galley Bay Heights for one a really stunning view.

hth!

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

Awesome!

Thanks everyone for all the input. It looks like I will split it over two days as mizgeorge suggested.

Cheers

k

6. Re: Can this be done in 1 day? Itinerary Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 09:26
Get answers to your questions about Antigua